Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy as a career

Hi there, first post here, so please be gentle with me!

Is there anyone here who could give advice to someone in their mid forties (me) about how a career path in astronomy might work?

I'm aware that I need a relevant degree, but am a bit overwhelmed by the various courses on offer, and what options there are resulting from the choice of a particular degree. (I'm in the early stages of research into this at the moment).

Also, would anyone be willing to give advice on the practicality of considering astronomy as career at my age?

I'm looking for broad advice, so please don't go to any great trouble.

I will add that I have had an interest in the universe from an early age, and believe that I have a wide (if not terribly deep) knowledge of all things cosmological.

Thanks in advance to any replies, and I'll give more details about my situation if anyone needs it to help me.

S61SW

When you say astronomy what actually do you mean. The term "astronomy" is so much broader these days than say 20 to 30 years ago. It is possible to be connected with space / astronomy without studying astrophysics. A lot of astronomy is maths based anyway. You can research the form life may take on other planets by being a biologist. I would suggest contacting the head of your nearest Universities that does astronomy courses for suggestions.

Have you read this doc produced by Cardiff AS.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/upload/pdf/So_you_want_to_become_an_astronmer.pdf

I wish you the best of luck.

Mike

Hi S61SW

I've changed career three times in my life

Warehouse Manager to Debt Collector to Accountant to IT Consultant

My advice is you only get one life - if its something you want to do you'll work harder at it - if you enjoy it you'll work really hard at it - if you have those two things you'll survive any career change .... you may not make a lot of money at it but you will enjoy what you're doing and as you'll put the effort in, you'll most likely be a success.

As to astronomy, the other guys in here can comment better than me but people I have spoken with do say that professional astronomy is a different beast from amateur astronomy - amateur astronomy tends to be mainly in the visual spectrum whereas professional astronomy covers many areas and all parts of the electro magnetic spectrum and also from theoretical through to practical so the question, as always, is "what interests you".

Obviously, just starting out in a new career you are going to be at the bottom of the tree and will have to fight for opportunities but, like I said, if its your passion I would go for it.

Phil

Hiya s61sw

I can certainly agree with everything that has been said to you so far

but i feel i must point out that the sad truth is the fact that there are very few full time jobs available in Astronomy these days .Most of the research work is carried out by various universities as part of Phd studies etc Also funding in this country has over successive years become pitifully poor making life even harder . Having said that though I would have thought your best chances of Entering into the profession would almost be as a sideways step through either an IT route or an associate science IE Planetary Geologist, Astrophysicist one other option you might concider is becoming a Science teacher definitely more Employment opportunities down that path.

I faced the same dilemma's as you are now when i finished my degree in Earthsciences, and I ended up being lucky enough to cross over into another field which I am just as passionate about which is Archaeology . At the end of the day though, it is down to each and every one of us to follow our chosen dreams and I wish you every success in your search and future career

one further thought jobs abroad may be a better option than searching here in the UK .

best wishes Pete

I can recommend the OU courses..

Doing a Physics Degree (with Astronomy slant) and their materials are very good.

Actually, just finishing the Introducing Astronomy course (submitting assignment today). :)

I already have a degree in Electronic Engineering which is my job, but a part of me would love to do something more academic and scientific, especially astronomy. Alas, I reckon a job in astronomy would be hard to come by, although my 2nd cousin currently works at Cornell as an assistant Professor studying CMB and Dark Energy (Must drop her an email, although I havent seen her for 20 years!). It is possible.

Good luck though, anything is possible if you give it your all..

Wayne M

IActually, just finishing the Introducing Astronomy course (submitting assignment today). :(

O/T I'm also doing the introducing astronomy course ATM, though I'm nowhere near submitting the ECA :)

I just started this course as well so I may well be asking you two some questions 8) . I have mapped out all the courses to get a degree largely based on astronomy and it is a long old road, but it sounds like fun!

To S61SW, I'm in my forties too so maybe we will be competing for the same job in a few years time. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

IActually, just finishing the Introducing Astronomy course (submitting assignment today). :(

O/T I'm also doing the introducing astronomy course ATM, though I'm nowhere near submitting the ECA :)

I just started this course as well so I may well be asking you two some questions 8) . I have mapped out all the courses to get a degree largely based on astronomy and it is a long old road, but it sounds like fun!

To S61SW, I'm in my forties too so maybe we will be competing for the same job in a few years time. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Wow, I've just done the same course as well, submitted a few hours before the deadline! Maybe we'll all be astronomers one day!

As to astronomy, the other guys in here can comment better than me but people I have spoken with do say that professional astronomy is a different beast from amateur astronomy

Completely different - i'm involved in both, and there's very little overlap. Professionally i'm interested in the evolution of high-mass stars, and my current project involves yellow hypergiants (think something slightly hotter than the sun, with a radius that stretches out beyond the orbit of Mars). In practice that's spectroscopy with the ESO "very large telescope" (VLT) with an instrument called FLAMES, which we have setup to cover the near infra-red (850-900nm). Most of the actual work is quite theoretical, and based on the physics of the individual absorption and emission lines in the spectrum. Hopefully later in the year we'll add in some photometry from the Faulkes Telescope South, which is a bit closer to backgarden imaging. But the crossover between that and my back-garden hobby is fairly minimal.

as for the original question

Is there anyone here who could give advice to someone in their mid forties (me) about how a career path in astronomy might work?

Looking at research Astronomy, the route is a mathematical/science-based degree (I did Physics), with a PhD in Astronomy (my thesis was on the formation and evolution of clusters of galaxies). After that you'd usually become a post-doctoral research fellow, and I know of several people who have gone down that route in their 40s/50s without problem. What you'd probably struggle with is then getting a permanent academic position; not because of age, but their are fewer jobs than candidates, that affects everybody.

The alternative (that i've followed) is to stop at the postdoc stage and combine research with a 'day job'. So for me IT pays the bills, and leaves me enough time to do research too as a "visiting" research fellow. Given that academics have a fairly heavy teaching and administration load, they don't actually have much more time for research than I do...

First question is what do you man by a job in astronomy?

They don't sit looking stars any more :laughing2: :laughing2: Or very little. They image the things then analyse the images on computer.

Probably more openings as a computer system administrator then astronomer.

I had a look a few years back, wondering about a possible move to Canada. When out there one time I visited the observatory at Victoria. Nice look round and a pleasant day, just a tour round.

Afterwards I looked at their web site and had a look at the vacancies they had.

So suggest you do the similar - locate observatories here in the UK and see what vacancies are advertised. For all you know they may advertise at that time for something you are suitable for. :cheers:

The time I looked at Canadian one and the vacancies were for computing and engineering. Computers control it all and the scope is a BIG bit of engineering - electrical and mechanical.

I looked at doing an MSc by distance learning but nowhere does them. Two reasons - interested in it and if I felt that if I had made an application it would have helped.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, apologies for not being able to get back here sooner, and secondly, many thanks for all your interesting advice.

I've done more research now (my first post was during the 'I've lost my job...what am I going to do next' stage) and (hopefully) I'll be starting a BSc Physics course in September, with a view to joining the MPhys with Astrophysics course after a year. This is at a University near me, and appears to offer a good range of options after qualification.

So, I'm on my way. I don't know where, or when I'll get there, but I've at least made a start.

Again thanks for the advice and opinions.

S61SW

Archived