Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advise please

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Don't see why not? I use my SW250 on my Skytee2 mount with no problem, so the AZ8 should cope well with the load.

That’s good to know. Do you counter balance it? With my 4” frac on my mount I don’t need to. 

11 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Don't see why not? I use my SW250 on my Skytee2 mount with no problem, so the AZ8 should cope well with the load.

Any chance of a photo Gus?  I can hardly imagine my 254 Dob on my (previously your) Skytee II.  (Did you miss it and get a replacement??  😉)

Doug.

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

A Bresser 10” dob OTA on a Skytee is usable but looks a bit big on the Skytee. 😁

3CF83AF5-0A4E-4645-ACEA-3C493BEA8972.jpeg

For some inexplicable reason, those marvelous pipe-type mount-heads are not available here in the U.S., price-wise.

6 hours ago, Armand Popa said:

It will be ok! AZ8 will handle the 8"

Anyhow, for visual observation only, In my opinion the best mount is the Dobson mount, but I am curious how an AZ8 performs (I heard good things about that mount)

The dobsonian mount no doubt would be better but as I have an AZ8 I really want to make it work. 

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

A Bresser 10” dob OTA on a Skytee is usable but looks a bit big on the Skytee. 😁

Thanks John - helpful image.   I think I'll keep mine on the Dob base though, as I have no scaffolding for reaching the eyepiece! 😉

Doug.

• Thanks 1

I've used a 10 inch F/4.8 newtonian on a Giro-type mount which I reckon had a similar capacity to the Losmandy G8. It worked pretty well. It was an Orion Optics newtonian which are a bit lighter than the Bresser or Skywatcher ones.

10 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Any chance of a photo Gus?  I can hardly imagine my 254 Dob on my (previously your) Skytee II.  (Did you miss it and get a replacement??  😉)

Doug.

Hi Doug. I’m away for work at the moment, but I’ll get a photo of it at next opportunity. Yes, realised I missed the Skytee2 that much that I got another one a while back ago. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hi Doug. I’m away for work at the moment, but I’ll get a photo of it at next opportunity. Yes, realised I missed the Skytee2 that much that I got another one a while back ago. :) 

Gus - I'm so glad I got yours with all the extra/better saddles and so on.  (I did strip it down and take some slack out.  All part of the enjoyment!). 

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1