Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Future Project Advice (Roll Off Roof Shed)

Robny

So, I'm in the very early stages of planning after gaining planning permission (from my wife) for the observatory, with a few caveats....im working on those.

But essentially, what I'm thinking (More to the point, what it has to be - remember the caveats) is a roll off roof.  I'm planning to convert 6x10 shed kit (heavy duty) and putting a partition wall down the middle with an access door to the scope and having a split roll off roof, wher the roof will remain permanent over the warm room portion (or shed portion, caveats again) and having it roll off for the scope room.

My early concern with this is water tightness where the split is.  Its going to be a pent roof and I'm just wondering if anyone has over come this and could share some advice regarding the split roof and watertight join.

I'm sure there will be many more questions but thats good for now, any input much appreciated, I've attached the shed plans and the possible shed in question for reference.

By the way, this is a summer project, so planning now

https://www.sheds.co.uk/adley-10-x-6-pressure-treated-premium-double-door-shiplap-pent-shed.html#.X7GnUArCPxM.gmail

Rob

Screenshot_20201116-064825_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-064835_Chrome.jpg

My ROR section rolls off on rails above my warm room at the side so is similar to your plan.

Below are some photos showing how I dealt with the seal at the join and how I used latching pins to secure the roof as it closed , hope they help.

I used Brundle track , as have many others , its very good , my roof runs with finger pressure.

z grooved wheel.jpg

Z 20191017_143646.jpg

You mention a wall "down the middle".

I would make the scope side the bigger side , make it square and use what is left for your warm room.

Ie 6 x 6 for your astronomy gear and 6 x 4 for the warm room. The rail carrying the roof can extend on a bracket over the short side as the roof will need space to roll away fully , but 2/3 will sit above the warm room so should carry the weight easily.

You never know, if you buy a bigger scope one day you might need the turning circle of a 6 x 6 space.      (  HA HA HA ........IF  !!!! )

I modified my roofline to have a low angle pent roof over the warm room and a flat roof over the scope room side (by raising the scope roof slightly)

Only possible if you can raise the roof and still satisfy everyone with an interest in the design.... 🙄

Used lightweight rubber slates on the slope.

Made it easy to manage the roll off track and fit a seal.

(I modified an existing block built outhouse , but principle works the same for a wooden shed)

concept.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures, videos and advice.  I really like what you have dont to the roof line.  Might look at something like that myself if you don't mind.

The scope room, on reflection I think will be 6x6 not because of a possible new scope, dont think that's on the horizon anytime soon but just so I have room to manoeuvre around it quite comfortably.

I have an eq6-r that will be on a pier and my scope as a WO GT71 (so not particularly too big) so should leave plenty space to move around it.

Out of interest....are you using a pier? What height did you go for?

Thanks again

Yes I used a pier and set the height so that my scope can peek over the side walls (all but the last 5 degrees or so of horizon anyway)

Altair Astro pier sits on a concrete block base with cemented in screwed rod for fixing the pier down.

The side walls help guiding by keeping a lot of the wind away , not really an issue with my refractors but for my big Newt it helps a lot.

With the Newt I do need a small step to use eyepiece at high elevation but I got a nice lightweight plastic one.

A pier for my NEQ6pro gives me a lot more space and I no longer trip over the tripod legs in the dark.

Thanks again for the response, more food for thought.  Think I'm going to build a balsa wood model in 1/8 scale to get it straight in my head.  Considering going for a concrete pier just to keep the cost a little bit lower, but that may change.

I'm sure I will have more questions if you don't mind, seems you have something similar to what I was thinking.

Rob

Have a browse through all the previous DIY observatory builds where the discussion of scratch build vs converting a shed has been discussed before.  You need to consider keeping the pier for the telescope seperate form the floor of the observatory.  Most of the sheds I have seen the floor flexes,  the stud work is not to any normal centering or depth which makes cladding and insulating the warm room a pain.  They are also designed to have their full strength when the roof is bolted to the frame that the walls make.  To make the roof stand up to being rolled off it will need bracing which increases its weight, so then the walls need bracing to take the additional weight.  Don't get me wrong, people have converted sheds, but you will notice that the majority of DIY observatories are constructed from scratch using standard studwork, standard 18mm sheet material and built to traditional building specs such as spacing for stud work.

The other thing to consider is how you are going to operate the scope.  Originally I added a warm room, which is around 2.2m x 2m, fully insulated and lined with ply.  It resembled an office more than a shed and I used to close both doors (one in the dividing wall the other to the outside) and spend hours in relative comfort whilst I imaged subjects.  However the term "warm room" is somewhat a false name, as whilst it does retain some warmth, it's not exactly short sleeve tee shirt conditions.  Now when I do any imaging I remote into the observatory from the comfort of the lounge.  If I was looking at doing this again, I would choose to make the warm room a lot smaller, or even do a way with it and just house the PC in the main scope room and remote into it.  This would not have reduced the footprint as the roof still needs to roll off, but it would have reduced the amount of concrete, bricks, joists and timber needed to build the thing.