Star Trails Around Polaris

I went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina last night. Our club is partnered with the National Park Service to get the Cape Lookout National Seashore designated as an International Dark-Sky Park through the International Dark-Sky Association. I had to take sky quality measurements using a sky quality meter and naked eye observations. My biggest achievement of the night was being able to see Uranus with the naked eye. I've seen it through a telescope a few times, but I've not been anywhere that the sky was dark enough and when the planet was bright enough to be able to do that before. Very happy about that. I took my DSLR and my all-sky camera to get some images and some video. I created a time lapse using both, but also took the images of the region around Polaris and decided to make a star trails image. My first one. This is just an hours worth of images. In total I ended up with about six hours before my DSLR camera batteries died. I ended up with about eight hours of footage from the all-sky cam.

Canon t6i
Irix 15mm, f/2.4
ISO 800, 180x20s exposures, no filter

Star Trails_cropped_FB.jpg

Link to the video on YouTube for those interested:

Edited by Buzzard75
  • Like 9