Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader WL film or Hershel Wedge

LDW1

I tried some shots, for the first time, the other day using my dedicated 80mm WL refractor with a Baader WL filter attached to the front and my dslr.  Now I am wondering, researching as to whether a Hershel Wedge that I see discussed quite often on various sites / forums might be even better a solar viewing and performance ? I would like the more expert opinions on yes or no ?

32A87253-3867-4017-A0A5-306747AE8206.jpeg

DFE5DE04-B50E-4DB8-9154-543A50559CF6.jpeg

5679C58A-5CDE-4EF5-AE3D-D2CF639392C4.jpeg

21C6715E-38AF-4D0F-A84A-2F0271264419.jpeg

• Like 3

I think my upgrade was worth it to me.

It is quite a jump in cost and I don't think the resulting image is 3 to 4 times bettter and that decision is yours only from say £50 to £200 is quite a leap for a 2" the 11/4" is cheaper @ £150 GBP.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I think my upgrade was worth it to me.

It is quite a jump in cost and I don't think the resulting image is 3 to 4 times bettter and that decision is yours only from say £50 to £200 is quite a leap for a 2" the 11/4" is cheaper @ £150 GBP.

Thanx !  Thats kind of the feeling I am getting ie better but maybe not worth the extra $, but I may get one anyway come spring just for some convenience.  Maybe, lol ! 

The wedge does take the detail and contrast to the next level. A noticeable improvement although as mentioned the cost is a lot higher so like all things optical the the cost of improvement increases exponently.🙀

I use a Lacerta 2” wedge which is a very good performer. 👍🏻

E67A4652-8271-4F49-BC83-C9786A4FBED0.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

I've not directly compared them, so take this with a pinch of salt from me, but I started out solar with the Baader film and to me the Herschel wedge gave a better view. Sharper and more contrast. But I have seen plenty of very impressive images done with SCTs and Baader film.

Alexandra on this forum won Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2020 Sun Category with her Liquid Sunshine image, done with an 11 inch SCT and Baader film:

spacer.png
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-54105085

If you end up viewing or imaging the sun a lot, it could be worth the extra depending on finances. I have used my 1.25 inch Herschel wedge a ton! I am tempted to get some film for my 8 inch SCT.

Edited by Luke
  • Thanks 1

Even though a filter using Baader film is even cheaper, the Lacerta/Lunt 1.25” wedges must be among the best value pieces of kit in the astronomy armoury. Particularly now that activity is returning they are capable of showing fascinating detail with even modest 3” scopes. As mentioned above there isn’t a big difference in the quality of views, but enough to repay the extra investment. 

• Like 1

It took me a long time to convince myself that a wedge was a safe and sensible thing to do, but I’m so glad I did. To me, the brightness, contrast and detail at high power are all improved noticeably.

I’ve used a couple of the Lunt 1.25” Wedges and they are excellent value and quality, one of the few bargains in astronomy I think. Make sure you have the necessary (safety critical) ND3.0 filter fitted in it; most have it prefitted but it’s always worth double checking. I also used a Continuum filter which helps with granulation and faculae.

I now use a 2” Baader Coolwedge with binoviewers which is a much more expensive setup and does show meaningful improvements over the Lunt wedge but I would still recommend the Lunt as an excellent next step up from the film.

• Like 2

I have both the 2" Lacerta and the 1.25" Lunt.
I have grown to totally dislike the Lacerta for its Brewster Angle for visual use.
Though it has worked fine with my ZWO cameras in my 7" f12 refractor.

The 1.25" Lunt is a very recent purchase and used in my 90mm f11 Vixen achromat.
I much prefer the Lunt to Baader foil and have the 1.25" Continuum filter permanently fitted.
There just seems to be an extra degree of crispness to the image over [admittedly ageing] foil.

The wedges use up focal length if that is an issue. Or even a benefit?
Wedges are compact and easily stored compared with fragile foil.
I tended to use rather bulky food containers for my home made foil filters.

Only you can decide if the considerable cost of a wedge is acceptable to you.
Do not expect a <cough> night and day improvement in image quality.

It feels nicely "traditional" to use a wedge after all this time. More "serious solar observer," if you like.
It was something I could never afford when I used eyepiece projection decades ago.

Baader foil was truly magical when I first tried it years ago now.
I used it for afocal "snapping" several transits and eclipses with handheld, compact, digital cameras.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

I have both the 2" Lacerta and the 1.25" Lunt.
I have grown to totally dislike the Lacerta for its Brewster Angle for visual use.
Though it has worked fine with my ZWO cameras in my 7" f12 refractor.

The 1.25" Lunt is a very recent purchase and used in my 90mm f11 Vixen achromat.
I much prefer the Lunt to Baader foil and have the 1.25" Continuum filter permanently fitted.
There just seems to be an extra degree of crispness to the image over [admittedly ageing] foil.

The wedges use up focal length if that is an issue. Or even a benefit?
Wedges are compact and easily stored compared with fragile foil.
I tended to use rather bulky food containers for my home made foil filters.

Only you can decide if the considerable cost of a wedge is acceptable to you.
Do not expect a <cough> night and day improvement in image quality.

It feels nicely "traditional" to use a wedge after all this time. More "serious solar observer," if you like.
It was something I could never afford when I used eyepiece projection decades ago.

Baader foil was truly magical when I first tried it years ago now.
I used it for afocal "snapping" several transits and eclipses with handheld, compact, digital cameras.

So will I need an extension tube ?

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

No, the complete opposite. You need more inward travel because the wedge eats up your focal length.

If the wedge replaces the diagonal, do all things not equal out pretty well when it comes to focal length ? Is it because of the design of the wedge ? What is the easiest solution ? Are there sites that I can research this issue ?

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

No, the complete opposite. You need more inward travel because the wedge eats up your focal length.

When I tried my dslr for those WL pics I did have to pull the adapter out of the focuser about 1/2” to get it to focus if I can remember correctly.

For visual use the wedge does require more infocus travel than a plain diagonal. On a couple of scope I had to shorten the OTA tube slightly to get focus.

Love my Lacerta wedge. Great wedge and find it very comfortable to use. It replaced a Lunt wedge. I use a regular 9x50 RACI finder with a Baader solar filer cell on the front. So much easier to use than a regular solar finder. 👍🏻

B159543B-E14C-46A7-A904-9B89B01E0CC9.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LDW1 said:

I ordered the 1.25” Lunt Wedge yesterday so the learning curve will start in a few days, lol .,

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

You'll soon find out if you can focus inwards enough to get a sharp image. :)

• Like 1