SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which data bases

I wondered if there is an overview of object databases and which ones are most useful. I've been looking at plate solving which is working ok but there seems to be a number of different databases. I've found the following -

G17 - used by ASTAP

APM - PS2

UCAC3 - PS2

ASTROMETRY.NET - ASPS

AAVSO has a database of variable stars.

I've also found one called SINBAD

What I would like really is to be able to take an image, plate solve it and then be able to click on other stars in the image and get information about it such as its ID and magnitude.

Cheers

Steve

Star labels or abbreviation is fine for the brightest stars. For the fainter stars it becomes a catalog number or in the latest catalog just the position (IAU_designation) as in the new Gaia star database. Gaia is the latest and most accurate star database.

You could use a solved image as a background in a planetarium program and by that identify the (variable) stars and their catalog number in several star catalogs.  Simbad can also give information based on the position. Using the online Simbad is implemented in CDC and HNSKY planetarium programs and probably in other planetarium programs or you can request it directly online in Simbad.

ASTAP can give the Gaia star database magnitude & colour and also the measured magnitude. It can also annotate variable stars. PS2 or Astronomy.net can not.

Han