Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A classic in need of updating

DaveS

To be specific "Amateur Astronomer's Handbook" by J. B. Sidgwick.

I grew up reading this book, and when the local library sold their copy, I grabbed it so fast my arm got shorter :)

Well to the point, I was looking on Amazon and doing a Google to see if there was an edition later than my 1971 copy, but all I could find were reprints. Although a lot (Most) of it is still valid, and always will be, there are some sections in urgent need of updating, whilst keeping the overall learned tone.

Does anyone know if an update has been done despite my searches? Otherwise it would be a good project for a truly knowlegable writer.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi , James Muirden ( a former editor of The Astronomer magazine TA )prepared the 4 th edition of Amateur Astronomers Handbook and marked as 'completely revised'.That edition was published by Pelham Books in 1979 .I aquired my copy through a local library sale too ! :)

The 'Observers Guide to Astronomy ' edited by Patrick Martinez available as a two volume set published by Cambridge University Press is worth having on the bookshelves too .

It is a pity that 'Earth & Sky' booksellers no longer do large astronomy meetings with their table/s full of new books from astronomy publishers allowed you to browse the content and then 'decide to buy'.

Hope this helps.

Another GREAT ( and very under rated) Classic is the "The Sky Observers Guide" a Golden Book by Mayall & Mayall.

This small compact book is worth its weight in gold for the absolute beginner and should be compulsory reading for ALL budding astronomers!! Although the last edition was back in 1985 and there's no references to SCT's, the content and simple explanations are priceless.

They are still available on Alibris for a couple of dollars.... money well spent!!!!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a book by Muirden called "The Amateur Astronomer's Handbook" published in 1981 as a third edition but it's not the same as Sidgwick, it's good, but doesn't have the depth of the original.

What I'm thinking is an update, keeping the original text, but adding where neccessary up-to-date information, perhaps in another font. It could even be a collaberative effort (Hint to the more errudite senior members :) )

Dave

I was given a copy of Amateur Astronomers Handbook by Sidgewick. A great book.

I purchased the one by james muirden but it did not seem as informative.

Another great classic i think is the Burnhams Celestrial Handbook which comes in 3 volumes.

I picked up all three on amazon for under a £1!

I think though by and large astro literature is getting better than the popular run of the mill stuff. The Patrick Moores Practical series for example i think is pretty good.

But admittedly i ceased buying books until some time ago, as they all just seemed to repeat the same stuff as the other.

Or is this just me having another winge?

AT

Archived