SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus, Moon, Mercury (almost) in a line

I knew that Mercury was putting on its best morning position in November for the whole year. However, in particular the morning of the 13th had been highlighted by many 2020 years books showing Venus, Crescent Moon and Mercury altogether almost in a line.

The weather has not been very kind recently and I was not being very hopeful because of rain coming over night. Just before 7am the cloud was moving away showing Venus and the Crescent Moon. Unfortunately heavy cloud covered the horizon area.

I took out my Helios Apollo 15x70 and went hunting for Mercury and just before 7.15am (sky getting brighter) I picked up Mercury. It was great to move between the 3 objects. I was unable to see Mercury with the naked eye but at least I saw the event.

• Like 9

Better luck than me Mark!

6.15am y'day I saw (naked eye) all three in a straight line, but wasn't prepared, so didn't set up, and planned to do so this morning.

6.15am today - rain!  Cleared by 7.00, but Mercury was not visible naked eye by then.  Tried it with the 102S Frac - no luck.  Looks like I've missed Mercury this time, which is frustrating as I've only seen it once other than naked eye, with binos, on the coast (low horizon) at sunset.

The slim crescent Moon was lovely though!

Doug.

14 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I knew that Mercury was putting on its best morning position in November for the whole year. However, in particular the morning of the 13th had been highlighted by many 2020 years books showing Venus, Crescent Moon and Mercury altogether almost in a line.

The weather has not been very kind recently and I was not being very hopeful because of rain coming over night. Just before 7am the cloud was moving away showing Venus and the Crescent Moon. Unfortunately heavy cloud covered the horizon area.

I took out my Helios Apollo 15x70 and went hunting for Mercury and just before 7.15am (sky getting brighter) I picked up Mercury. It was great to move between the 3 objects. I was unable to see Mercury with the naked eye but at least I saw the event.

I managed to view this on the 12th November, I did try this morning but don't think I got any clear images but will check them moro. I did get this image ftom the 12th November here in North Cornwall. 

Moon-Venus-Mercury(1)-12-11.jpg

Moon-Venus-Mercury-12-11-20.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

I managed to view this on the 12th November, I did try this morning but don't think I got any clear images but will check them moro. I did get this image ftom the 12th November here in North Cornwall. 

Moon-Venus-Mercury(1)-12-11.jpg

Moon-Venus-Mercury-12-11-20.jpg

Well done catching Mercury - nice photo showing the 3 astro bodies. I was going to try on the 12th but was totally clouded out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Well done catching Mercury - nice photo showing the 3 astro bodies. I was going to try on the 12th but was totally clouded out.

Thank you Mark, it was a quick check of stellarium to see that Mercury was rising with the moon and Venus, so grabbed the Canon 450d and took a few images to merge together without over exposing the moon and Venus and another with higher iso and longer shutter speed to show Mercury, then merged them together in PS, just so I had a sharp crescent moon. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I had calendar-bookmarked this morning for this, but drilling rain the last 2 days put paid! Lovely pictures above though go some way to softening the disappointment.

M

Thank you captain, was a quick effort to take the images and feel really lucky to get them, clear skies