Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Macavity

Baader Hyperion E.P. Proj. image scale

Here are some measurements of image scale for Baader Hyperions in Eyepiece projection mode. The scopes used were my Skywatcher ST102 (f=500) and MAK127 (f=1500). Of course, all this stuff can be CALCULATED, but there is uncertainty due to the Eyepiece "nodal point" position? All images were taken via my (cheap & cheerful!) Orion Solar System Colour Imager (SSCI) Mk.2 (1280x1024) which neatly frames a full moon in a field of ~0.75 x 0.6 degrees on the ST102. The SSCI was attached to the back of the Hyperions via a Baader M43-T2 adaptor plus basic T2 - 1.25" clamp. No additional extension was used in this instance. :)

Hypescale.gif

Interesting though... (to me anyway!). An obvious conclusion is that a 24mm Hyperion provides almost the same image scale (in e.p. projection mode) as the SSCI at prime focus. The other image scales are shown, normalised to the prime focus ST102 result. To my novice imaging mind, eyepiece projection shows none of the (apparent!) vignetting visible at prime focus... So, what's not to LOVE? Aside: By adding an ATIK focal reducer to the prime focus of the ST102 (or using the Hyperion 31mm Aspheric!) I can get down an image scales of < 1.0 (0.65 with Atik) i.e. TFoV (long side) > One deg with the SSCI. So, I can even do lunar (and solar) image stacking, while the object drifts across my manual/alt-azimuth (Giro III) fields... :)

Thanks Chris,

You have answered many questions that have presented themselves to me regarding these eyepieces.

Thanks so much for the work you have put in.

Lee.