Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back out with the 10x50s

mark81

It's been a while since I've been out with the bins and couldn't resist when I saw a nice clear sky for the first time in as long as I can remember.

I grabbed a look at m45 first of course and it really jumped out at me, one we've all looked at many times before, but always a good starting place.  Some great doubles in the Hyades and that nice string of stars just above it.... That's one FOV I really enjoy under a nice dark sky.

I stuck with Taurus and picked out 1647 as a faint smudge with a couple of stars resolved... Then 1746, another cluster which is similar to 1647 - much better viewed later when it's higher and more visible. A pair of 70mm really helps on these two.

M35 just creeped over my neighbours roof and just to the right of these was a faint fuzzy patch which was clusters 2156 and 2157 merge together I think...

Checked out the Auriga clusters of course, you can't quite get them all in the 6.5 degrees of the 10x50s which would be cool, but I'm sure I have with the 8x40s.  All were nice and easy to spot.

I had a go at M1 - not sure why, cos  I've never seen it with 50mm and tonight was no different....

I finished off in Cetus.  I got Delta Ceti in view and and to the left sat two faint faint patches? Maybe? They jumped in and out of view with averted vision, I'm hoping they were m77 and maybe 1055?  I had a close look at my atlas later and I'm not convinced, so that's one for another day.... Let me know if you've ever seen m77 with some 50mms.

I got growled at by a hedgehog and then spooked by a cat..... And came in...

Clear skies

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lovely report, I love binoculars, it’s a great time of year for them, so many interesting objects. The Hyades are one of my favourites, one of a few objects that are best seen through binoculars. That would make an interesting thread - “Which objects are best through binoculars?”. 🙂

• Like 2

A nice report, and a lot of quite mixed targets; thanks for sharing.

Don't overlook the asterism Davis's Dog, nicely placed almost between the Pleiades and Hyades, have a look:

SilverAstro

IMO, a very impressive celestial dog, on par with Canis maior, and way better than the less conspicuous ones (C. minor; C.venatici). Once seen, you cannot make it "unseen" any longer. A really rewarding view in any binocular; give it a try!

Stephan

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

A nice report, and a lot of quite mixed targets; thanks for sharing.

Don't overlook the asterism Davis's Dog, nicely placed almost between the Pleiades and Hyades, have a look:

SilverAstro

IMO, a very impressive celestial dog, on par with Canis maior, and way better than the less conspicuous ones (C. minor; C.venatici). Once seen, you cannot make it "unseen" any longer. A really rewarding view in any binocular; give it a try!

Stephan

Thanks Stephan,

I've not come across that one before.... I'll have a look at that next time I'm out...

Mark

• Like 1