Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ha Filters?

centroid

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if your H9C's colour chip has the same sensitivity in Ha as my mono but I think your two favourites are the Baader or the Astronomik. I plumped for the Astronomik 13Nm model from Ian King as the Baader ones weren't in the country at the time and didn't look like they would be for a while. One thing you might want to be aware of is the Astronomik version might give 'halos' around the brighter stars (have a look at some of my Ha images, they've all got the in varying degrees) whilst the Baader one doesn't as best to my knowledge.

Tony..

I have used a 13nm Ha astronomik with my QHY8. The chip has similar properties to yours and is very sensitive in Ha but only 1/3 of the pixels. I was still pleased with the resolution though.

Tony is right about the halos they can be an issue and are dependent on the spacing between filter and chip. I never had problems with my H9 and filter wheel but I do get some small ones with my QHY8 and filter drawer.

Thanks guys, that's useful feedback.

I guess it would be nice to hear from someone who has used the Baader also.

I know Steve (steppenwolf) uses one with H9C and 25C, so perhaps he'll happen upon this 'thread'.

Dave

One thing you might want to be aware of is the Astronomik version might give 'halos' around the brighter stars (have a look at some of my Ha images, they've all got the in varying degrees) whilst the Baader one doesn't as best to my knowledge.

Tony is right about the halos they can be an issue and are dependent on the spacing between filter and chip.

I would be happy to loan one of the new Baader Narrowband filters to someone in return for an SGL comparison test :)

Please PM me if interested.

Dave,

I have had one of the new Astronomik Ha filters on test shipped directly from the manufacturers (thanks to Bern at Modern Astronomy). Initial tests (slow due to weather) shows that there is significantly less halos than the originals. I've tested spectral response and there is no IR leak which a lot of people were saying, the halos are caused only by internal reflections. I have a Baader to do a direct comparison but haven't had a chance to test yet.

Steve

The plan is next decent window in the weather to run a direct comparison test on the same subject under the same conditions, this will include new and old Astronomik (both 13nm) and the 6nm Baader filter. I'll keep you all posted.

Steve..

Hey, what a fantastic response to this 'thread', just what SGL is all about. :thumbright:

Steve (FLO), you are a 'top man' for offering to loan one of the new Baader filters for comparison purposes. I think that Steve (paxo) would be the ideal man for the job. :)

Steve (paxo), thanks for your input, and I'm sure there will be quite a few of us, eagerly awaiting your report.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

my imaging friend bought the baader 7nm? Ha filter from Ian king at Kielder.

If I remember correctly, it was used to capture our latest image of IC410 in Ha with a tak e160f3.3

Dont recall any halo's...performance was good, although just the one use if hardly scientific.

Filter seemed every bit as good as the astrodon 6nm.

Richard crisp, one of the proprietor's of narrowband imaging, also rates the baader well.

Thats usually good enough for me.

Look forward to your report, Steve...

Paul

All the lab tests are done, just waiting for some clear skies to do some representative images to confirm the lab data. Although this work is independant, I will need to discuss with Bern and Astronomik before posting though.

Steve

Ok, having just spent £120 on a Hutech IDAS LPS filter, which gives a nice magenta 'cast' to my OSC images rolleyes.gif

I am really surprised at this and wonder if it is yet another symptom of your faulty OSC H9C? I exclusively use this filter in all my images on both my H9C and M25C which are of course OSC types as indeed does Greg Parker who originally recommended this filter to me! No magenta cast is thrown on either of my two OSCs and generally this filter is the LP filter of choice for many OSC users.

The main problem when comparing the use of filters is the amount of light pollution each user is subjected to, what is a good filter for one might not be the 'best' choice for another. I have recently bought the IDAS filter but, due to the weather, haven't had a chance to use it yet!

Steve..

It could have been related to the fault with the H9C Steve, and time will tell :(

Steve (paxo), I'm very forunate to have location where light pollution is pretty low, with the exception of towards the North, and I rarely point the scope in that direction.

Dave

Archived