Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak FC100 DC, NV and a Binotron

Anyone had any success using these together (obviously not all three at the same time!)? 

Having experienced the joys of true grab and go with a Mak127 the other night I’m looking for something equally portable for night vision (a 4” refractor) but also something offering wide field views with a binoviewer.

If I’m reading the various posts on SGL correctly, the DC needs an adapter for the focuser to accept 2” kit, e.g. 55mm plossl for afocal viewing with an OVNI-B or the 2” Binotron. Appreciate upgrading the focuser is an option - but prefer that to come down the line. I’ve always used and trusted the Baader clicklock adapters (the Binotron and 2” diagonal I have weigh a tonne) - is that possible here? Other FC100 models look heavier (and more dough) so would prefer to stick to the DC.

Also, portability is key - with dew shield and focuser removed what’s the overall length of the scope (trying to work out if it could ever go as carry-on)?

Edited by Trentend

I've not used NV or Binotron, but the DC Focusers short travel can cause some issues with inward travel. The D.C. focuser accepts a 2" adapter, but also you can remove the green/blue extension situated between the tube and focuser. It may be tight initially but it can be removed and the focuser attached directly to the tube. Then the black extension tubes that come with the tube assembly can be used to attain more outward focus travel.

Edited by mikeDnight

Paul - as Mike says, the DC focuser has very short travel, but removing the section ahead of the focuser makes the scope more flexible for binoviewing. The Tak focuser is ok but not so great, in my view, at handling heavy loads, like weighty binoviewers fully loaded or a long night vision stack with a 55mm plossl.  The Feathertouch solves all these issues.
I’ve taken the DC abroad a couple of times - as long as it’s packed carefully, with dew shield and focuser removed, it will fit into cabin baggage with  pretty much all U.K. airlines. I can’t remember the precise length of the shortened ota - think it’s around 19”. It’s just short enough to fit into typical cabin baggage.

3273BAA5-F4E6-4DA4-94FE-1804AEA46F79.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Paul - as Mike says, the DC focuser has very short travel, but removing the section ahead of the focuser makes the scope more flexible for binoviewing. The Tak focuser is ok but not so great, in my view, at handling heavy loads, like weighty binoviewers fully loaded or a long night vision stack with a 55mm plossl.  The Feathertouch solves all these issues.
I’ve taken the DC abroad a couple of times - as long as it’s packed carefully, with dew shield and focuser removed, it will fit into cabin baggage with  pretty much all U.K. airlines. I can’t remember the precise length of the shortened ota - think it’s around 19”. It’s just short enough to fit into typical cabin baggage.

3273BAA5-F4E6-4DA4-94FE-1804AEA46F79.jpeg

How every duty a focuser is needed when attaching a NV stack? Actually how much does the stack weight?

13 hours ago, Deadlake said:

How every duty a focuser is needed when attaching a NV stack? Actually how much does the stack weight?

It’s quite a long stack with the 67mm adapter as it also requires a further extension. But it was MkV binoviewer that provided the biggest load - with eyepieces it was over half the weight of the scope 

B3CF1D23-F7F9-4103-8E11-13913A98532C.jpeg

Just now, Highburymark said:

It’s quite a long stack with the 67mm adapter as it also requires a further extension. But it was MkV binoviewer that provided the biggest load - with eyepieces it was over half the weight of the scope 

B3CF1D23-F7F9-4103-8E11-13913A98532C.jpeg

Any idea on weight? Thanks