Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asteroid in M45

I suppose you refer to the object at 11 o'clock about half way out from centre that is moving past two bright stars. I also note a dimmer object at 2 o'clock about half way from centre moving in approximately the same direction as the first.

Be interested to hear what you find out!

I've checked on Carte du Ciel, and I think you'll find that they are 16.7 magnitude asteroid (19545)1999 JY33 and 18.6 mag (109030) 2001 QL10.

Both Main Belt asteroids. Nicely captured. I love imaging asteroids!

50583490446_48dce9a6dc_c.jpg

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, lukebl said:

I've checked on Carte du Ciel, and I think you'll find that they are 16.7 magnitude asteroid (19545)1999 JY33 and 18.6 mag (109030) 2001 QL10.

Nice work! I've been trying to use the Asteroid annotation tool in ASTAP. Made myself a load of work... Updating minor planet data, finding OP's approx lat/long (not that it was critical). ASTAP couln't blind solve the image so uploaded to astrometry.net to get central image fix... Hours it's taken, hours!

Got there in the end. It agrees with both your findings Luke, and found a few more. I limited the magnitude to 20 because the image got cluttered (yes there were more!). I can't stop it clipping the annotation text on the fainter of the subject asteroids. Bit of a bug there me thinks.

Anyway, the magnitudes are in the funny wotsit brackets less the decimal point)

1807077058_AsteroidsM45.jpg.364fe5ae959a2c2cbe46a636b41dd39c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!!! You guys are absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for all  this work.  I need to learn how to do all this. My imaging buddy and I talked about this capture last weekend. I asked him if there is any 'live blinking' software. He is a pro-coder. We couldn't think of any and said he may write one. Maybe someone knows of something similar. I am not asteroid hunting, just imaging,  but as many know, we have LOTS of spare time as we sit around down at the club obsy. It would be nice to add asteriods to the list that includes, jokes, whiskey, maybe a cigar to the interim activities. It would be great to find these things as we capture them.  I can't wait to share this thread with my club mates. 

Thanks again everyone!

Jeff

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nightster said:

Thank you so much for all  this work. 

No, thank you for giving me something astronomical to do during these cloudy times! :)

I've always enjoyed playing with planetarium software and packages like ASTAP add a new dimension. It has a very useful deepsky annotation tool using the Hyperleda database and the asteroid and comet annotation tool. It all takes some setting up, files to download and install in the right place etc.

ASTAP is also an up and coming plate solver. Very fast when set up right. Though it does struggle with some of my imaging attempts, no surprise there. It's a bit like trying to plate solve splashes of paint on my overalls... :)

I switched to ASTAP recently as 1. It is compatible with SGPro now, 2. Its Faster than the PlateSolve2 3. Less buggy than PS2 and 4. Its fun saying Ass Tap (note previous comment about jokes.)

I will spend some time and attempt to figure out the Asteroid capability of ASTAP. 

The  animation, how many images do you think were used and about how much time was involved with the asteroids movement?

Reason I ask is I believe I captured one while imagining for meteors a couple years ago. It was on a lot of images, moving quite slow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/11/2020 at 09:49, Paul M said:

I've always enjoyed playing with planetarium software and packages like ASTAP add a new dimension. It has a very useful deepsky annotation tool using the Hyperleda database and the asteroid and comet annotation tool. It all takes some setting up, files to download and install in the right place etc.

ASTAP is also an up and coming plate solver. Very fast when set up right. Though it does struggle with some of my imaging attempts, no surprise there. It's a bit like trying to plate solve splashes of paint on my overalls... :)

I’ve recently switched to ASTAP from Planewaves PlateSolve2. I use SGPro and ASTAP is the other free plate solver. I have not used it for anything else at this point but to precisely frame and rotate my targets. Looks like a I got yet another complex software app to learn about in depth. Let me add that to the list. LOL

• Like 1