SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I've got Soul, and I'm super bad!

Rustang

I've recently had a couple of nights where Ive ended up with no data, just complications but good learning so never a waste. It was nice to finally have another session where everything came together and I managed another image I'm happy with. It wasn't the best of seeing with the moon light but I'm pleased with the result considering this. Still some way to go, I've still got what I believe to be a tilt issue but I'm not concerned about that for now and i think I'm always going to be battling noise and banding with my DSLR but it's the gear I have for now! 😊

Gear: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW 72ED DS PRO, Canon 600D modified. 3hrs worth of 5min guided subs, Bias and Flats, no darks. 

SoulLRnoline.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 16

Nice image. I completely feel your pain with regards to banding. I'm using a very similar setup (Heq5 pro, ED72 and 450Da) and banding is a complete pain. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. However, I do believe it's very much dependent on ambient temperature. I've also noticed that it's not (as) apparent when using fast lenses which I have found odd (maybe has something to do with capturing relatively more useful signal than noise with the faster optics). The banding reduction tool in Siril generally does a good job of removing it by the way (but not always haha). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stuf1978 said:

Nice image. I completely feel your pain with regards to banding. I'm using a very similar setup (Heq5 pro, ED72 and 450Da) and banding is a complete pain. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. However, I do believe it's very much dependent on ambient temperature. I've also noticed that it's not (as) apparent when using fast lenses which I have found odd (maybe has something to do with capturing relatively more useful signal than noise with the faster optics). The banding reduction tool in Siril generally does a good job of removing it by the way (but not always haha). 

Thanks 👍 The noise and banding is something I can live with for now, I will be looking to upgrade my camera next year hopefully anyway.

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Thanks 👍 The noise and banding is something I can live with for now, I will be looking to upgrade my camera next year hopefully anyway.

Yeah me too, just not sure whether to go mono or OSC.

16 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

Yeah me too, just not sure whether to go mono or OSC.

I might be sticking with DSLR's for the near future but a better one! If that doesnt end up producing better results then I might look to go OSC. I'm pretty happy with my current results, if I can lose the banding and some noise then even better. The thing is, with the little clear nights we have in this country I think i might be to much for my brain to take on yet another challenge if i come away from DSLR's. It was hard enough setting up guiding and going computer controlled to enable dithering etc, but then to be fair, I manged it and now Ive started to get it all working well, it has definitely made a big improvement. For me, baby steps in better so sticking with my current way of doing things but with a better DSLR is the next step then maybe after a year of seeing how that goes then maybe take a bigger step with an OSC. It might be that any DSLR will still produce noise, I will be reading up before the change anyway so if that appears to be the case then I will think again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rustang said:

I might be sticking with DSLR's for the near future but a better one! If that doesnt end up producing better results then I might look to go OSC. I'm pretty happy with my current results, if I can lose the banding and some noise then even better. The thing is, with the little clear nights we have in this country I think i might be to much for my brain to take on yet another challenge if i come away from DSLR's. It was hard enough setting up guiding and going computer controlled to enable dithering etc, but then to be fair, I manged it and now Ive started to get it all working well, it has definitely made a big improvement. For me, baby steps in better so sticking with my current way of doing things but with a better DSLR is the next step then maybe after a year of seeing how that goes then maybe take a bigger step with an OSC. It might be that any DSLR will still produce noise, I will be reading up before the change anyway so if that appears to be the case then I will think again.

Yeah I can completely understanding that thinking. I've also considered a newer dslr as well but then I honestly don't know how much better it will be over what I already have. I think OSC is the way to go as I'm already capturing in APT so it's not going to be so much of a change as it would be going mono. If I could effectively get shot of the noise that's inherent with dslrs I'd be happy 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Are you using dithering? Hopefully it is something you aren't doing yet as that could help your banding

I am but it wasn't going so well that night due to not so great guiding, it kept timing out which I keep meaning to ask the question that if it times out then I'm guessing that single dither hasn't worked!? I'm also still getting to grips with the dither settings but getting there, it appeared to work well on a recent M45 session. 👍