Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope purchase

24 minutes ago, Nate67 said:

Hi all new to astronomy and looking at purchasing my first telescope. Was look at Bresser Messier 10" Dobsonian when one becomes available in your opinions would this be a good choice. Thanks in advance

An excellent choice - not too heavy, easy to collimate, holds collimation, nice, smooth,  and stable in use, good focuser.  You will not be disappointed!

Doug.

• Like 1

Thanks again for your comments. The only negatives I have received so far is that it has no tracking capabilities like goto. Is this something that can be added at a later date if I wanted. At present I would like to try learn the sky for myself without guidence but you never know if you will change your mind at a later date. 

11 minutes ago, Nate67 said:

Thanks again for your comments. The only negatives I have received so far is that it has no tracking capabilities like goto. Is this something that can be added at a later date if I wanted. At present I would like to try learn the sky for myself without guidence but you never know if you will change your mind at a later date. 

Upgrading a Dobsonian style scope to one that tracks will be difficult with a dob base. Have a look at this thread. You really need a GEM mount for that. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/562874-dobsonian-tracking-systems/

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

I find visual observing directly connects me to what I’m seeing whereas AP isn’t as involving.  Just prefer that direct connection but maybe that’s just me. 🤔

I feel there's a big connection when it comes to AP. 

I find it amazing that these photons of light set off travelling from their source X amount of years ago, have spent all those years travelling quite literally at the speed of light from so far away, to end up hitting the sensor in my camera to produce the image on the screen. I find it quite humbling tbh.

Sreve

Edited by nephilim