SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with Bluetooth scope control.

I've just started to set up a Bluetooth connection to control my EQ6 via my Palm Tungsten T5 and unfortuneatly I've fallen at the first fence.

You need to configure the adapter on a PC to pair up with the Palm, I've told the adapter the Palms Bluetooth Mac address, set the adapter to "master" and set the uart settings to 9600, one stop bit and no parity bit.

The adapter automatically attempts to connect to the Palm (as its supposed to) and the "Connection in progress...." screen comes up on the Palm but thats as far as things gets, it never actually manages a connection.

Any ideas guys??

Hi Gaz, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is, was there any mention of a pairing key? either on the palm or in the blurb for the other bluetooth device? it will be a 4 digit number, default is usually 0000. And could you post a link to the bluetooth device that you are using?

It seems odd that you have to tell the device the palms mac address, I don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, usually with bluetooth on the PC side of things you would just use the bluetooth software to search for the other bluetooth device in much the same way you would if you were looking for a wireless internet connection.

Part of the search for the device will be discovering which services the palm bt unit is offering, then the PC bt software should offer you the various ways that you can connect to the palm.

Hi Reggie,

Its a cheapo generic adapter (yes, I know!! :) ) it says in the instructions to "give" the adapter the MAC address of the Palm. I've done this via Bluetooth connection on my PC and the adapter attempts to connect when in Master mode, but the connection is never successful, so I'm guessing its a settings issue?

I've tried the adapter in "Slave" mode where its supposed wait until the Palm instigates the connection but I can't seem to make contact that way either.

I've got the PINs the same and I've tried it without the PINs to no avail, I think where I'm going wrong is somewhere in the settings for the connection but I know pretty much zero about using a Palm for this type of thing.

I'm in work all night, is there any chance I could send you the PDF of the instructions I got with the adapter when I get home in the morning for you to take a peek at? I've got to the point where I'm going round in circles.....

Regards

Gaz

Gaz.;

I remember not too long ago, trying to get a wireless adaptor in my neighbours laptop communicate with my wireless router. I succeeded OK, but the following day, I could not get them to link at all. To shorten the story, it was due to a wireless video relay system I have. between a TV in the room where I have my desktop, and the bedroom. It allows me to watch Freeview films in bed should I wish to do so. It was definitely the culprit, because the link succeeded or failed according to whether the transmitter was on or off. It obviously interfered with the signal.

Now, I'm sure this is of no help whatsoever in the tracking down of your problem, but the possibility of interference from something else may be responsible in your case. Or maybe not.

:)

Hope you crack it anyway. It has to be something simple, but always the last thing you think of.

Ron. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've made a bit of progress today today (well, moved the problem further along). I've got the Palm and the adapter connected, I think I just need to sort the cabling/ protocol out to the EQ6 but I'm unsure whether the EQ6 qualifies as a DTE device or a DCE device? (Depending on which it is I may have to get a converter cable). DCE seems to make sense to me but I'd like to make sure before I go any further.

It should be DTE effectively emulating the output of your computer. The cable you would normally use to download to the Synscan handset would then plug into the bluetooth adapter or alternatively the cable that would go between a D-type RS232 connection and a EQmod RS232 to TTL interface.

Regards

Kevin

Are you going to connect to the handset or an EQmod adapter ?

I was hoping to connect it to a Palm PDA running Astromist (planetarium software with Bluetooth telescope control). Is this possible or have I misread/ misunderstood something somewhere?

You cannot directly connect the bluetooth Adapter output to the D-type connector on the EQ6. You need to do one of two methods.

1.) Connect the RS232 output of the bluetooth adapter to the handsets serial coms port which is similar to a telephone style connector RJ11 style I think. The cable will have a female D-type connector on one end with Pin 3 being Tx, pin 2 being RX and pin 5 being ground . The pin 3 Tx output should go to the handsets RX input and the TX output of the handset should go to pin 2 of the D-Type. The pin 5 of the D-Type should be connected to the ground connection of the hansets serial port input.

2.) Connect the bluetooth adapter to an EDMod Interface that can then be plugged into the D-type input of the EQ6 mount itself. The cable needed will be the same at the bluetooth adapter end as described above the TX and RX connections between the bluetooth adapter and eqmod adapter should be cross coupled as above. The ground connection will then be pin 5 to whatever the eqmod adapter ground connection is.

Regards

Kevin

Ah, right!! I'd assumed the Palm replaced the handset completely, obviously not!!! I have the cabling for option 1 lying about somewhere, I'll giVe it a go.

Cheers! :)

It can in effect if you use an RS232 to TTL adapter which is what an eqmod interface does.

I hope you haven't coupled up the bluetooth adapter directly to the D-type connector on the mount as this could damage the mount.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

you can buy a bluetooth to serial adapter from CPC for £29 pounds

Do you have a link to the adapter please? I can't find it.

Also, if I've understood correctly, I could directly attach my Shoestring EQDIR to my EQ6 Pro and then attach the bluetooth - serial adapter to the EQDIR and control from my bluetooth PDA. Is that correct?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Hi Kevin,

you can buy a bluetooth to serial adapter from CPC for £29 pounds

Do you have a link to the adapter please? I can't find it.

Also, if I've understood correctly, I could directly attach my Shoestring EQDIR to my EQ6 Pro and then attach the bluetooth - serial adapter to the EQDIR and control from my bluetooth PDA. Is that correct?

Thanks

Mike

CPC and Maplins links shown below there doesnt seem to be one available for the original price I quoted.

http://cpc.farnell.com/lm-technologies/lm048/adaptor-bluetooth-to-serial/dp/CS17134

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=99180

I am not certain if there is any PDA software that can control the mount when directly connected via an RS232 to TTL adapter. The EQMod software is PC based only. It would be technically possible if the right software was available.

The first method I mentioned is certainly possible by connecting to the handset. The mount would then be controlled in the same fashion as you would by directly connecting a PC to the handset and using the appropriate Ascom driver. The bluetooth to RS232 convertor just replaces the cable in effect.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for the links Kevin, shame the price is nigh on double.

Like Gaz, I was hoping to use Astromist to control the mount. It supports a number of different control protocols one of which is compatible with the EQ6 (Nexstar 8i), but as you rightly point out that will be via the handset. I was being stupid I'm afraid.

Thanks

Mike

Archived