Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this amp glow?

Hi, trying to process some M45 data. It's 2hr and 47 min approximately, taken with unmodded 550D, star adventurer, in a bortle 8. I'm processing in StarTools,  if that helps.

So, is this amp glow? How do I get rid of it?

If also someone wants to have a go at my data, let me know!

Captura de pantalla (12).png

If you haven't started using flats, you may find they help? 

And darks on an uncooled camera may introduce more noise than they suppress. 

There is a more up-to-date version of StarTools available (1.7.440 at the moment) and the new wipe module may be able to help if you try the vignetting preset.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, almcl said:

If you haven't started using flats, you may find they help? 

And darks on an uncooled camera may introduce more noise than they suppress. 

There is a more up-to-date version of StarTools available (1.7.440 at the moment) and the new wipe module may be able to help if you try the vignetting preset.

Yes, I should try and take them, but it seems kinda complicated. Do you have any guide/can you refer me to any good information on how to take flats?

Will install that updated StarTools version, thanks for letting me know!

2 hours ago, feverdreamer1 said:

Yes, I should try and take them, but it seems kinda complicated. Do you have any guide/can you refer me to any good information on how to take flats?

There's lots of info on flats both here and on-line.  One simple guide (if you are using Deep Sky Stacker) is on the page here

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/faq.htm

Once you get used to doing them it only takes a couple of minutes.

On 08/11/2020 at 14:18, feverdreamer1 said:

Hi, trying to process some M45 data. It's 2hr and 47 min approximately, taken with unmodded 550D, star adventurer, in a bortle 8. I'm processing in StarTools,  if that helps.

So, is this amp glow? How do I get rid of it?

If also someone wants to have a go at my data, let me know!

No its not amp glow there isnt really any on a 550D.

Looks like vignetting to me, off centre to you have droop or colimation issues, what telescope and filters are you using?

The answer is to take flats btw.

Adam

Not really adding a lot to this, but I have a couple of similar DSLRs and haven't seen that kind of gradient show up so I doubt it's camera related.

But the #1 solution is to take flats. Whilst others will suggest more robust methods, I've found a piece of white paper across an old tablet screen, which us displaying a full screen white jpg,  works wonders. 

11 hours ago, rnobleeddy said:

Not really adding a lot to this, but I have a couple of similar DSLRs and haven't seen that kind of gradient show up so I doubt it's camera related.

But the #1 solution is to take flats. Whilst others will suggest more robust methods, I've found a piece of white paper across an old tablet screen, which us displaying a full screen white jpg,  works wonders. 

Likewise, I use a blank MS Word document on my PC screen and a double layer of a white T-shirt over the scope tube, held in place with a rubber band.

Set the DLSR on AV mode and hold the scope against the screen.

When I first started I was using a single lay white T-shirt but it let too much light in, so the exposure was too short and the mirror was causing a shadow at the top of the flats, but a double layer seems to work well. ;)