Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar 6SE vs C6-S

Thanks for all the advice on my previous posts requesting first scope advice.

I think I've settled on a C6-S - particularly at the low price they're presently at.

However, I keep coming back to goto, and what a convenient option it would be. So I have two questions:

Is it possible to retrofit a goto motor package to a manual CG-5 mount?

How would a C6-S on a goto CG-5 mount compare with a 6SE?

Either option would involve doubling the cost of the package over a C6-S on a manual mount. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers for the replies.

I've been told that the OTA on the 6SE and C6-S is identical, apart from the colour.

Is this correct? They certainly look the same and have identical specs.

From what I can make out, they even have the same vixen dovetail.

Does this mean that I could take the OTA off the Nexstar mount and put it on a motorized polar mount at a later date, if I was serious about imaging?

Optically they are identical. Mechanically they are too except for some differences in the accessory fixing points, I'll have a look later and let you know but I suspect that the C6-s version will be more convenient if you intend piggy-backing a camera or guidescope. They are both Fastar/Hyperstar compatible.

Yes, you can fit both versions to a standard Synta/Vixen saddle (i.e. HEQ5 and EQ6).

HTH

Cheers Steve

I'd be interested to know if there are any differences.

Incidentally, is it actually possible to piggyback a DSLR on an 6SE?

Or fit one to the rear with an adaptor? I would have thought this could foul with the mount as it approaches zenith?

Hi,

I imagine that you'd need to use tube rings of some sort to piggy back.

You can fit a DSLR to the rear of the scope using an SCT-T adapter and the appropriate T-mount on your DSLR. See these links: http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astroengineering/generalaccessories/deluxesctt-mountcameraadaptor.html and http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/T-mount%20adaptors/SLR-cameras/rings.html

Unless you have a flip mirror installed, you have to remove the EP and fit the camera - and precise focusing is a problem however if the object is rather faint. Link to flip mirror: http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/Meade_Flip_Mirror_1_25.html

Zaph

Cheers Zaphod.

I have a Nikon D70, which should do the job, but precise focus sounds an issue. Perhaps I would be better with a webcam?

Are you pleased with your 6SE? Would you recommend it?

I'm still undecided between the 6SE and a C6-S on a CG5 mount, with goto. Getting more and more expensive as I go on...

Everyone tells me the polar mount is easy to setup - which seems straightforward, but I think the 6SE has the edge with its simple 3 star align.

I've also heard that the CG-5 goto mount is awfully noisy, whilst the Nexstar SE is much quieter.

Any opinions most welcome.

Hello mate, I thought I would add to your quandry as I had the same dilemma as you and in the end settled on the 6SE. I had already had a 4.5" meade newt. reflector without go to on an eq mount, and to be honest could no longer be arsed with setting it up. So I went for portability, but to be honest, I'd be unlikely to take it on holiday with me! The views I've had with it so far have been great, the alignment fairly straightforward, so the decision, as they say, is yours!

Cheers Zaphod.

I have a Nikon D70, which should do the job, but precise focus sounds an issue. Perhaps I would be better with a webcam?

Are you pleased with your 6SE? Would you recommend it?

I'm still undecided between the 6SE and a C6-S on a CG5 mount, with goto. Getting more and more expensive as I go on...

Everyone tells me the polar mount is easy to setup - which seems straightforward, but I think the 6SE has the edge with its simple 3 star align.

I've also heard that the CG-5 goto mount is awfully noisy, whilst the Nexstar SE is much quieter.

Any opinions most welcome.

Hello Jarndyce

Yes, thrilled with my 6SE. Easy to set up and align. Hartily recommend it. Although an 8SE, take a look at what you can do with an SE scope by looking at Alex Post's image of M42 here >> http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2885464/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

As far as the noise goes, all Celestron mounts sound (according to our American pals) like "Coffee Grinders"! However, they seem to track just fine.

You can easily attach a DSLR to the rear of the 6SE by using an SCT to T-Mount adapter and the appropriate T-mount on your Nikon for prime focus astrophotography.

The mount can easily handle the weight. The cost is about £6 - 10 for the T-mount and between £15 - 25 for the SCT adapter.

However, most people are imaging with webcams and the one to go for is the Philips SPC900. Some stores (such as Amazon) are charging £70. Pixmania are doing it for £41 including VAT and delivery. I ordered one on Tuesday last week and got it on Thursday - yet to use it in anger however. You will need an adapter however, Telescope House have these for £19. Also need a CCD Capture program - such as K3CCD and a stacking program like DeepSkyStacker.

I'm currently on a steep learning curve on astro-imaging at the moment. I have a Canon EOS 400D and associated T-mount but have yet to use this. My first attempt (at photgraphing Venus last week) came to nought. Any help & advice I can give you, just yell.

Zaph

Thanks all.

I think I'll go the same route as you, Zaphod. Glad you like the 6SE.

Definitely plan on some webcam imaging, so I'll check out your recommendations.

There's a lot to consider!

May get an SLR adaptor to begin with. Thanks for the advice.

Looking forward to seeing some of your images when you've had time to play.

In which case, I hope the skies in your neighbourhood are clearer than those in Hertfordshire at the moment! :(

Archived