SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first light with my wifes little dob

faulksy

had a delivery today from ace FLO of my wifes bresser 10"dob

we came home from work a quick brew and unpackaged it. set it up and through it in the garden. havent checked colimation yet. set up the finders an had a look. what a brilliant little thing. m42 amazing consiering the moon, used my 5mm pentax 250x an it was as sharp as a sharp thing. same with the moon, mars was not brilliant but was ok. m45 was lovely with my apm 20mm. m51 was amazing as well. wifey is so happy. more to come soon

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Nice report, I bet it's great sharing the same interest. That scope is good, a lot of aperture but easy to handle.

I was looking at Mars last night with your VX14, the conditions weren't as good as earlier in the week but the views were great.

• Like 1

i cant believe how good it was, didnt even check colimation. all my eps were brilliant. very sharp. quite surprised that 250x on orion was as good as it was.

my wife was well chuffed. was ment to be for xmas, but she did let me have my new antares 1/30 secondary for my dob 😆

not many people buy a new scope and get first light on the same day it arrived

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, faulksy said:

m42 amazing consiering the moon, used my 5mm pentax 250x an it was as sharp as a sharp thing. 

I couldn't believe it having only used binoculars and not touched a telescope for 20 years when I got one for £60 from Argos.

The trapezium was crystal clear.  Also stuck an oiii filter in and the nebula extended out even further.  I am amazed something like that can separate out the trapezium so clearly when you think how far away and bright that core of stars is.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, orions_boot said:

I am amazed something like that can separate out the trapezium so clearly when you think how far away and bright that core of stars is.

👍Aren't telescopes truly wonderful! - for a modest amount of money we can experience for ourselves such amazing things outside of the realm of the everyday.  It's really quite magical to step back from the EP, look up naked eye, and appreciate how a telescope makes these mysterious vistas visible to our eyes.

Glad your wife likes her new scope @faulksy - I do like the design of the Bresser dobs! I can't even entice my wife to look at the majestic rings of Saturn in my 15" 🙄😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, niallk said:

👍Aren't telescopes truly wonderful! - for a modest amount of money we can experience for ourselves such amazing things outside of the realm of the everyday.  It's really quite magical to step back from the EP, look up naked eye, and appreciate how a telescope makes these mysterious vistas visible to our eyes.

Glad your wife likes her new scope @faulksy - I do like the design of the Bresser dobs! I can't even entice my wife to look at the majestic rings of Saturn in my 15" 🙄😂

hi niallk. utterly amazed. just fitting my nrw antares secondary to my dob thinking wow this mirror cost the same as my wifes dob 🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, faulksy said:

hi niallk. utterly amazed. just fitting my nrw antares secondary to my dob thinking wow this mirror cost the same as my wifes dob 🤣

😄😆

yeah - i felt similarly buying an EP for my 15" which cost more than my 250px!!!

Enjoy that super precise secondary ;) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, niallk said:

😄😆

yeah - i felt similarly buying an EP for my 15" which cost more than my 250px!!!

Enjoy that super precise secondary ;) 

how did you find your secondary compared to your original obsession mirror ?

20 minutes ago, faulksy said:

how did you find your secondary compared to your original obsession mirror ?

I haven't upgraded my original secondary (yet) - it came with a cert claiming 1/10 PV wavefront. I have visited the Antares website a few times, but thus far have resisted temptation!!  I'm thinking of an Astrocrumb filter slide as my next investment, but then I'll want to pick up a 2" H-beta... is there no end!! 😂😂

Edited by niallk
  • Like 1