SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I think I'm done - to many frustrations

jm_rim

On 07/11/2020 at 16:18, jm_rim said:

When I finally was done and wanted to test what the max sub length could be

Super long exposures is not necessarily the holy grail. More but shorter exposures is a good way to go, especially in light polluted areas. Shorter as in maybe less than a minute exposure. This video by the maker of SharpCap is often referred to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RH93UvP358

BackyardNikon just said ”busy” every time, with nothing happening no matter how long I waited...

Imaging can be full of frustrations, and more so if you have to set up every time.  But the above seems to me to be a major stumbling block for you and something that could be sorted out without having to set your kit up.  i.e. try to do the same thing with your camera during the day time perhaps unattached to the telescope, and find out why the camera keeps hanging.  

This could be a USB problem, problem with a setting on the camera, or a hardware problem.  I am no expert on this, but I would attempt to get this solved before trying to attach it to your astro equipment.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro

On 20/11/2020 at 00:57, carastro said:

try to do the same thing with your camera during the day time perhaps unattached to the telescope

This i will definitely try, thanks. I really don’t understand why it the error occurs. In the fall there was no software issues - just alignment issues 😩 

I finally had a successful night 😁 wuhuu

• I managed to get short exposures in Shapcap and could polar align to excellent in 5-10min.
  • I “solved” my Backyard Nikon issue - don’t know how, but it is not just reporting busy after an exposure.
  • I tighten the RA motor extra hard - witched solved one of the tracking issues.

I did some test to see how much I could push my setup. On the EQ-5 with a RA motor, a SW explore 150pds with CC, and a Nikon D700, I managed to get good 300sec exposures one 500sec turned out ok...

But I had it running all night, with no problems, and would just like to say thanks for all the help and good advice...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jm_rim said:

• I managed to get short exposures in Shapcap and could polar align to excellent in 5-10min.
  • I “solved” my Backyard Nikon issue - don’t know how, but it is not just reporting busy after an exposure.
  • I tighten the RA motor extra hard - witched solved one of the tracking issues.

I did some test to see how much I could push my setup. On the EQ-5 with a RA motor, a SW explore 150pds with CC, and a Nikon D700, I managed to get good 300sec exposures one 500sec turned out ok...

But I had it running all night, with no problems, and would just like to say thanks for all the help and good advice...

Awesome well done!!!

5 hours ago, jm_rim said:

Excellent... sometimes a step back for a moment to clear your head and frustrations is all it takes...