SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wonderful Mak127

3rd night out with the new grab and go kit (Mak127 left outside to cool 1 hour, Binotron and 24mm panoptics). Four targets this time, something not previously possible in the backyard as surrounded by other buildings.

Saturn - wow, best views ever. Crisp and clear on both low and medium power settings. Have previously viewed through a large dob and looked like a very small white ball with ears! But this was on a different level. No atmospheric wobble, ultra bright, with nice magnification.

Jupiter - quite disappointing. Could just about make out some of the bands, no subtle red spot, moons there, but overall image, even on lower power was a little blurred. Not sure what was happening as enjoyed with 8” dob a few years ago (but much higher in the sky then).

Mars - even better than the night before. Viewed this time seated with diagonal twisted horizontally so much more comfortable. Also put in a 32mm Televue plossl and views were stunning. Incredibly bright (much more so than the 24mm pan) with lots of colour, surface texture and could just about make out the poles.

Moon - Enjoyed the pans at low and medium setting, popped in the 32mm for the first time on the moon. Have struggled with these before but seemed to hit the sweet spot. Not quite as comfortable to view as the pans but still pretty good being seated this time. All 3 power settings were amazing. Ultra bright and sharp. Probably spent most time overall on medium power just letting the view fly by. Wonder if there’s another 32mm on the market with a a bit less eye relief and wider FOV? Unfortunately didn’t have the Baader neodymium filter with me.

Overall VERY pleased. I’ve forked out a few pennies on this hobby over the years but the Skywatcher Mak127 is one of the best things I’ve purchased and so much more fun being able to grab and go.

• Like 11

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading how your 127 Mak has impressed you. It's really encouraging when an observers enthusiasm for a scope and the views it delivers,  even surpassing expectations. When Jupiter is high in the sky again your 127 will be jaw dropping.

I have the Orion version and I love it! I get fabulous views of the planets, the moon and the brighter DSOs including M42, M57, M31 and M13. I'm even able to squeeze in the double cluster in Pegasus with a 32mm EP. And yes, it's totally grab-and-go. I've moved it around to three locations in one observing session. Just give it a little time to cool  down and use a dew cap or dew heater in cold and/or humid climates and you're off!

Regards,

Reggie :)

Jealousy is a terrible thing, but I fell prey to it reading the OP ... I have a 127 mak on back order from  FLO ... will it be in the recent delivery from the importer ? Won't it  ? Will it get to me while Mars is still impressive ... the suspense is killing me ! 😟

8 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Jealousy is a terrible thing, but I fell prey to it reading the OP ... I have a 127 mak on back order from  FLO ... will it be in the recent delivery from the importer ? Won't it  ? Will it get to me while Mars is still impressive ... the suspense is killing me ! 😟

Fingers crossed for you, am sure you won’t be disappointed. While you’re waiting I can recommend getting a finder scope as the red dot one supplied as standard isn’t great and with the scope having a small FOV it can be a bit tricky to centre items. I just need to decide now whether to get a 9x50 or 6x30. The latter appeals to help keep the weight down with a wider FOV but not sure if that then means it’s more difficult to spot your target?

Also, regarding the 32mm plossl, does anyone know if these would fit?

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=158

I bought a pair a few weeks ago for the pans but had to return as they didn’t fit. The Televue site mentions 32mm plossl but doesn’t specifically say they fit. I don’t want to buy and return again!

Edited by Trentend

2 hours ago, Trentend said:

While you’re waiting I can recommend getting a finder scope as the red dot one supplied as standard isn’t great and with the scope having a small FOV it can be a bit tricky to centre items. I just need to decide now whether to get a 9x50 or 6x30. The latter appeals to help keep the weight down with a wider FOV but not sure if that then means it’s more difficult to spot your target?

I've got both 9x50 and 6x30 and I would say the 6x30 is more useful most of the time for smaller scopes, I only use a 9x50 these days with my dobsonian and C8 where I'm looking for dimmer targets and hopping with fainter stars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trentend said:

Fingers crossed for you, am sure you won’t be disappointed. While you’re waiting I can recommend getting a finder scope as the red dot one supplied as standard isn’t great and with the scope having a small FOV it can be a bit tricky to centre items. I just need to decide now whether to get a 9x50 or 6x30. The latter appeals to help keep the weight down with a wider FOV but not sure if that then means it’s more difficult to spot your target?

Thanks for the positive thoughts !  I know I'll get one eventually, but I'm currently somewhat hyper,  like a six year old who knows Christmas is coming, but who has no concept of how far off it is !

I do already have a Heritage 150 dob though, so can continue to use that in the meantime, but having done my research understand that whilst the dob is lovely, and is better for viewing some things, the mak with its longer focal length will be a better tool for planets . Like Mars . Now . Right now . Waah ! 🙂

I bought a RACI finder for the 150, because I mostly observe from my back garden, and it's not easy to line a red dot up with something you can't actually see. I had an annoying 'can see M31 with the naked eye & binoculars, can't ruddy line it up in the scope because the fuzzy thing vanishes when I look straight at it and try to overlay the dot ' episode one evening ( managed it next night, more by luck than anything else ) Also the bizarre contortions to look along the RDF were a literal pain in the neck.

Partly because not much was available in lockdown #1 (I ended up buying online from a camera shop which had just one in stock) and partly because I'm cheap, I went for the 6x30, which makes it far easier to find fuzzies.  A bit like wanting a dob and a mak for different jobs, I use the RDF and RACI as tools for slightly different purposes.

I've no idea what difference (if any) in field of view between the two sizes of finder are, but I've investigated the 6x30 and to my eye it pretty much matches that of my 10x50 binoculars, which is 6 degrees. A handy coincidence when I'm using the binoculars to help locate things !

Heather

Just picked one of thee up but as I only have one mount, which my GT71 AP set up is currently sat on I haven't had chance to use it.  Must sort myself out before Mars goes back to being a single digit arc second dot.

16 hours ago, Trentend said:

Wonder if there’s another 32mm on the market with a a bit less eye relief and wider FOV?

You're already maxed out on true field width in a 1.25" barrel with the 32mm Plossl.  Many of the Chinese made 32mm Plossls have the eye lens recessed much more than the TV version, so they have less eye relief as a result.

If you want to go wider, you'll need to add a Mak to SCT thread adapter, a 2" visual back, and a 2" diagonal.  Bright stars do exhibit a weird oval reflection as they pass the edge of the rear port and there is 30%+ vignetting of the edges, but works really well to bring in wider views.  The 24mm APM UFF has roughly the same TFOV as your 32mm Plossl.  Notice how much more field is visible below with only moderate vignetting?

220226258_Max127MakTFOVComparison.thumb.jpg.fa1c73bddd25963f5af583532ef1f858.jpg

That's a massive 2", 35mm eyepiece on my 127 Mak below:

1689820098_DualScopeSetup-11.thumb.jpg.e5db8d3b3b82f02a4398580a03055609.jpg

Don't try to mount an SCT threaded 2" diagonal directly to the rear threads.  It won't fit next to the focus knob.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

If you want to go wider, you'll need to add a Mak to SCT thread adapter, a 2" visual back, and a 2" diagonal.

Interesting, I had to fit a Mak to Sct adapter to use my existing 2”diagonal which attaches to the Binotron. Challenge I have is the Binotron only takes 1.25” eyepieces.  No fear though as the 32mm plossl’s used last night were great. Just need to work out if I get the Televue extender eyeguards or something similar with wings (I have some flexible rubber wings on my NV goggles and they completely block out all surrounding light like suction pads or a divers mask and they totally transform the viewing experience in my mind as you don’t notice the small FOV as everything is black!).

Edited by Trentend

9 hours ago, Trentend said:

Also, regarding the 32mm plossl, does anyone know if these would fit?

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=158

I bought a pair a few weeks ago for the pans but had to return as they didn’t fit. The Televue site mentions 32mm plossl but doesn’t specifically say they fit. I don’t want to buy and return again!

Great report Paul. I love a good Mak too. 
The eyeguard extenders work well with the TV 32mm plossl - but for binoviewing sometimes you might even need two (ie 2x2) of them, which makes them pricey, although they are also useful for the 40mm plossl. 
The Celestron Omni 32mm is much cheaper, with much less eye relief - and still very good, though not as bright or sharp as the TV.