Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crater Petavius

Mike JW

2/11/20 - I was wandering along the terminator when Petavius stopped me in my tracks - unbelievable view as the sun was setting over this well known crater. The low sunlight revealed details that are not normally obvious when viewed with the sun higher in the sky. My standard idea of a crater is ring of terraced walls, falling to a flat floor with a central peak(s). I know this not to be true but mostly that is the impression we get once craters are away from the terminator.

Details for Petavius and its companion Wrottesley are more or less as I noted at the eyepiece. The rest is artistic licence - ish.

North is up.

1. note the central peak appears to lie on a ridge, with several minor peaks gradually getting lower to the south (they get smaller and fainter). Ridges seem to descend from these peaks in a curving southward direction.

2. the most northern of these curved ridges would seem to coincide with the well known rille that runs from the central area

3. the fact that the central area was still in some sort of daylight but the rest of the crater floor is darker confirms that there is a large part of of the crater floor where the central peaks are higher than the crater floor nearer to the rim.

4. at the southern end (west side), the crater wall would appear to be double and the inner wall had at least four major peaks, maybe more.

5. on the east side the black of the terminator has broken through to the inner part of the crater, implying this is a low point in the vast crater wall.

Why do I enjoy sketching? Not just for the art but because when we look carefully we see so much more and then we discover/learn so much as well.

Mike

1039971777_PetaviusNov22020.thumb.jpg.2fba0c1ee184955d94ebd2cd69cc094c.jpg

Edited by Mike JW
poor grammar
  • Like 6

Hi Achim,

I am trying a new approach to chalk/pastel sketches. I am producing large sketches as it is easier to get the details and the feel of the crater(s). I am also worrying less about accuracy and going for the 'feel' of the view/crater.  The size of my sketch for Petavius would equate to probably x500 or more magnification which is of course not practical in our unsteady skies.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...