SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The downside to imaging at this time of year!

Jonk

Just my luck, started a run on the Heart Nebula mosaic I started and and BOOM! An unwanted light source right in the FOV!

If I was seriously imaging (I wouldn't with fireworks around) then I would be very annoyed, as it is I found this amusing for some reason.

Any other good examples?

Firework.thumb.png.2200c3c401cd2fd02e23b0f84d4cd1ce.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

That would cheese me off, especially on a 20 min exposure.  

I often wonder why we let our general populace buy explosives to detonate. Recent events prove beyond all doubt that some of them ain't the brightest, and are definitely not smart enough to be trusted with stuff that goes bang. 

I like fireworks (when I'm not imaging!) but I would always go to a show (once upon a time...) rather than waste good money letting a few pathetic squibs off in my back garden to frighten the neighbour's pets and the local wildlife.  

Bah humbug....

Edited by Hallingskies

It did at first, and it was a 30 minute sub!

Given the conditions, and the fact I'm still learning something each time I set up, I'm not too fussed at the moment.

I think fireworks should be and probably will end up being sold to displays only, not the general public. Years ago I wouldn't have said that, but the older you get, the wiser....apparently!

Round here and I suspect most of the populated UK, fireworks go off at least every night (and daytime) a week either side of when they’re meant to!

Same over New Year too.

Shame as it’s usually clear then!

I get a few interesting captures on my meteor cameras on Nov 5th.

I don't mind though as I love fireworks. When I was a boy I used to make my own, which taught me quite a bit about chemistry. Until a friend blew off two of his fingers. So don't try this at home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Until a friend blew off two of his fingers. So don't try this at home.

Bernard Schmidt blew off a hand but he still managed to make his famous optics.

It's amazing what's possible when you have the necessary drive.

Regards Andrew 

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

Bernard Schmidt blew off a hand but he still managed to make his famous optics.

It's amazing what's possible when you have the necessary drive.

Regards Andrew 

Not sure what became of him (the guy I knew, not Bernard Schmidt). The guy made the rooky mistake of compressing gunpowder. He took one of those Sparklets CO2 "bombs" and filled it with powder. While tamping it down, it detonated. Very similar to Bernard Schmidt's incident 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jonk said:

Just my luck, started a run on the Heart Nebula mosaic I started and and BOOM! An unwanted light source right in the FOV!

If I was seriously imaging (I wouldn't with fireworks around) then I would be very annoyed, as it is I found this amusing for some reason.

Any other good examples?

Firework.thumb.png.2200c3c401cd2fd02e23b0f84d4cd1ce.png

All I'd need to do is want to take an astro photo with fireworks.

Then I'd never see them 😂 

• Haha 1

Well, I'm imaging again tonight, nothing in the FOV yet!

The chances of a stray rocket hitting the setup is very low, as the rig is on a tripod about 1.5m from the house.

Although now I've done it by saying that...!