SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt LS50THa - observing only - worth double stacking?

I’ve decided to go for a small, light and handy dedicated H-alpha solar scope, and have a Lunt LS50THa incoming.

So if you take that scope as a given, and also that I’m only interested in observing, would it be worth also getting the double-stack module?  My budget might JUST stretch to that, given some of the discounts around.

Curious to know of anyone’s experience with double-stacking the little Lunt 50, purely for observing.

Look forward to your comments - cheers folks.

Edited by Chinapig

I don't have the LS50, but do have a 50mm double stack fitted to my LS60 so I'm basically using a 50mm solar scope.

The double stack filter makes a huge difference to my visual observations as it dramatically increases the contrast on the face of the disc.

The DS filter does dim the image, but as I use a solar hood to cut out external reflections, I don't find this too much of an issue.

It does take a bit more effort to tune as you have two filters to independently tune, but I found it simple enough to follow the instructions.

I was fortunate as I got my LS60 secondhand and it came with the DS filter, but they do add a significant addituonal cost to an already expensive item.

Good luck with making your decision. I'm sure someone else will be along to offer an opinion shortly.

Ade

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

I don't have the LS50, but do have a 50mm double stack fitted to my LS60 so I'm basically using a 50mm solar scope.

The double stack filter makes a huge difference to my visual observations as it dramatically increases the contrast on the face of the disc.

The DS filter does dim the image, but as I use a solar hood to cut out external reflections, I don't find this too much of an issue.

It does take a bit more effort to tune as you have two filters to independently tune, but I found it simple enough to follow the instructions.

I was fortunate as I got my LS60 secondhand and it came with the DS filter, but they do add a significant addituonal cost to an already expensive item.

Good luck with making your decision. I'm sure someone else will be along to offer an opinion shortly.

Ade

Many thanks Ade - appreciate your comments.  All useful info.

Cheers, Simon

4 hours ago, Chinapig said:

So if you that scope as a given, and also that I’m only interested in observing, would it be worth also getting the double-stack module?

Absolutely. I upgraded mine with both the double stack filter and the feathertouch focuser and having used them I consider both essential. It isn't essential to buy the feathertouch focuser, but it is to get rid of the awful helical one supplied with the scope. All of the fiddling with the pressure tuner to find the optimum view turned out to be focuser sag issues, these days I don't have to touch the tuners. 

2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Absolutely. I upgraded mine with both the double stack filter and the feathertouch focuser and having used them I consider both essential.

Many thanks for you input Ricochet - appreciated.  While I continue to ponder the DS option for a wee bit longer, I’ll definitely divert a bit of budget for a replacement focuser.  Comments about the standard helical one do seem pretty common.

Thanks again.  Cheers, Simon