SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where Do You Keep Your 'Scopes??

cloudsweeper

Right now my C8 is in its peli case in the kitchen along with both mounts. The C11 is in a corner of the living room, along with the small bits like eyepieces. The 6 inch refractor is laying on my bed! 😁

No, I don't sleep with it. With winter in particular I am not so daft as to sleep in an unheated room. I am perfectly happy to kip on the couch with the warmth from the log stove. Oh the joys of being free and single!  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/11/2020 at 16:57, johninderby said:

Ah but do you have one of these duvet covers.? 😁😁😁

DC4ECA69-CF7F-41BA-99DC-ADBF142E3B3B.jpeg

You need the scope that looks like that.  Lay it on the bed over the image. 

Spouse: "Is that a telescope that you have dumped on the bed?"

"No, dear you're just imagining things. It's the duvet cover!" 😊

On 02/11/2020 at 16:17, Jamgood said:

I only have one scope and mount at the minute. Scope is on the piano in my Recording Studio/Obsy and the mount is in the corner. I've got set up down to a fast, fine art not. 10 minutes and I'm ready to start guiding/imaging. 

A piano! A piano!??

No late night imaging session is complete without drum practice! 😃

• Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 20:15, Tiny Clanger said:

I seemed to recall the 'glass is a liquid' statement triggering the QI klaxon , so just checked , and it is an amorphous solid . No worries about it flowing over time either :

"Whatever flow glass manages, however, does not explain why some antique windows are thicker at the bottom. Other, even older glasses do not share the same melted look. In fact, ancient Egyptian vessels have none of this sagging, says Robert Brill, an antique glass researcher at the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, N.Y. Furthermore, cathedral glass should not flow because it is hundreds of degrees below its glass-transition temperature, Ediger adds. A mathematical model shows it would take longer than the universe has existed for room temperature cathedral glass to rearrange itself to appear melted."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-fiction-glass-liquid/

To be honest, I would have said liquid too , right up until Mr S. Fry told us otherwise !

Maybe the Egyptians made the glass progressivly thinner lower to take long-term flow into account 😉

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

I didn't worry about it until you mentioned it! :laugh2::laugh2: Interesting question though - my C8 has been stored in various brick built garages for the last 20 odd years and it's fine, so my experience has been good. I don't know what kind of conditions would create humidity in a garage?

I was thinking of damp air when it is quite humid outside. Several items in my garage have mildew. I am expecting my 8” DOB soon and I have been reading about storage and having it good to go at outside temperature. Inside storage is not an issue for me but garage is also attractive.

2 minutes ago, reezeh said:

Maybe the Egyptians made the glass progressivly thinner lower to take long-term flow into account 😉

My theory* : the archaeologists failed to notice that the Ancient Egyptian glass vessels in question were actually egg timers, and therefore the objects have spent 2500 of the years since they were made one way up, and 2500 t'other way up, evening out the flow. 😀

Heather

* no, just in case anyone thinks I'm that daft,  it's a joke.

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2020 at 18:44, AlexK said:

Careful with those chemicals on the shelves nearby. Certain vapors or spills might damage optics. Even plastics might emit enough to affect some coatings in a long run.

Years ago I stored my 200p dob upright with a black bin bag over the top, the bag wasn't big enough to cover the whole scope I just figured it would offer some protection against dust etc. I soon changed my mind when I realised the optical tube was turning yellow. Nobody smokes in our household and the bottom part of the optical tube, which wasn't covered by the bag, remained lovely and white. I stopped using the bin bag and replaced it with a foil survival sleeping bag, eventually the yellow faded and now all is well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Our dob and mounts are in a nice solid little metal shed in the back garden. The 8 inch SCT and our refractors are in a loft space halfway up our stairs, along with eyepieces etc. We also have over a 100 board games in the loft space, which is another passion of ours. I do like keeping most of the astro gear and board games out of sight, as "normal folks" who visit tend to think it's a bit excessive!

🤔

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunk said:

In my scope shed. 

Nice! :)

What is it? 

Yeah, I know, it's shed! Is that a 10" scope? I don't know the mount either. What is it? Doesn't look like much of a counterweight.

Anyway, a very nice looking setup!