Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen SX2 (Star Book One)...computer control it?

DaveSw

Is anyone here controlling a Vixen SP2 (SB One) with an external computer for GoTo, etc. (for AP use)?  Is it even possible?  I have been unable to find any references to it. I see Vixen mounts suggested as fine, but expensive mounts and references to SB Ten providing GoTo capabilities but nothing to suggest it’s doable with the “simpler” version. 

I’m  looking for my first solid mount to do photography with a 70-80mm refractor. Starting with a mirrorless APC camera and eventually a cooled mono camera. I’ve been considering mounts I can move in and outdoors relatively easily. This mount and the HEQ-5 are the two I’m looking at most seriously at this time. The local market (western Canada) for used mounts seems to have dried up during recent times, so new is what I’m looking at. (Vixen because of their “it’s already fiddled and should just work” reputation and the HEQ-5 because it’s well known with fixes and mods well defined. (It’s also more affordable by a fair margin here.)

The SB One doesn't have the functionality to be linked to a PC and if you purchased the SX2 and upgraded to the SB Ten you'd probably pay nearly as much as you would for an SXD2 which has the SB Ten.

To a great extent, the SB Ten becomes rendundant if you want PC control of the mount - it simply acts as an expensive interface between the mount and the computer/network! The SB Ten with the optional Advanced Function Unit was intended to remove the need for a PC for astrophotography by offering control of the camera shutter, guiding etc all on the controller.

Hope that helps.

If you want the star book 10, then SXD2 is the cheapest way to get it. To be honest having the buttons and variable speed control (which is not part of the INDI protocol as far as I know) on the SB 10 gives you good flexibility when slewing around the nights sky, moon in particular. As far as I know not possible with other third party apps as the INDI driver does not support variable speeds.

Edited by Deadlake