Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular Parallelogram mount help?

hadyn42

Hello Guys

I am think of buying a pair of binoculars, it will be either a pair of 22x85mm  or a pair of 25x100mm binoculars, the total weight being about  between 5kg to 6 kilograms.

I have been looking at making a suitable sized Parallelogram mount to be able to view the night skies comfortably and without experiencing the neck and back pains and at my age I need all the help I can get guys please? Been looking around on the astronomy forums and there are plenty of pictures and advice about mounts, but no actual plans with sizes mentioned etc.   

I plan to make the mount of 50mm x 25mm rectangular  aluminum tubing for the two main arms and somewhere around 80mm square aluminum tubing for the arms to attach to the tripod etc.  Can anyone supply me with some drawing's / plans with sizes mentioned and any other recommended  materials that I can use please as I am hoping to start this project of towards the end of next week.

Thanking you all in advance.

Kindest regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Edited by hadyn42
update

Just spotted your posting, so sorry about the delay.

Have you considered a monopod? I use one with my 15x70s. The monopod takes the weight, and small body movements help me to scan an area of sky. The monopod will also work well (held at an angle across your chest) for longer periods, when sitting in a reclining patio chair. A tripod, with only 1 leg extended, makes a good experimental monopod, to see if it works for you.

Geoff