Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Experiences of CEM40 setting up in the field?

UKRoman

Hi All,

I currently have a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT which I really like. It’s a great mount and mine tracks beautifully well, however I find the weight is excessive. So I’m looking at lighter and more portable, but equally capable alternatives. This has led me to consider the iOptron CEM40. It looks like it fits my requirements perfectly. The only thing that concerns me is that the tripod/mount setup and then adjustment during polar alignment looks to involve an Allen key and small bolts and washers to lock things down. This sounds like a recipe for disaster in the dark. Before I make a decision on whether or not to pull the trigger on the CEM40, I was wondering if anyone with experience of setting up this mount finds it to be an issue? Does using an Allen key to tighten down the adjustment screws affect the polar alignment? Or do the benefits of the mount out-way the disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by UKRoman
More details