Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good Imaging Scope For Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight

Hi guys.

I've just bought the above mount online, due to the lack of skywatcher mounts out there at the moment, and I'm considering an Apo or refractor of some kind to do some imaging.  My interests are both solar system and DSO so I know I may have to fork out for 2 scopes eventually as I really enjoy observing too.

I currently have a Skywatcher 200 and a motorised eq5 coupled with an astroeq for tracking and goto.  I have imaged with this setup before but I now want to progress.  I have an unmodified 1100d and a qhy5iii426c colour camera.  I have a decent laptop or tablet too.

So.........suggestions for a decent imaging scope guys?

I would like to keep the budget to roughly what I can sell the eq5 and 200p for.  I don't mind adding to it for the right scope though.

Your suggestions and advice will be greatly received and I'm really looking forward to trying out that great sounding new mount when it arrives.  Will be nice to experiment with one of the lesser used mounts so to speak.

Clear skies.

Pete

Edited by Astropedro
Typos

The ES EXOS-2 PMC8 is a decent mount and its imaging payload capacity should easily be able to handle a 3-4" scope. So I'd start with a 80-102mm apo. These scopes coupled with aps-c cameras (your 1100d) are meant for widefield and medium to large size DSOs. For smaller galaxies you will need bigger refractors (longer FL while still being reasonably fast) which are too heavy for your mount. For really small DSOs and planetary imaging SCTs are the way to go.

There are tons of options between 80 and 102mm. However if your budget is limited to the amount you can get by selling your eq5 and 200p (I'd recommend keep the 8" newt for visual), your choices will be limited to 80mm ED doublets. The SW ED80 along with the dedicated .85x FR/FF could have been the best option but due to supply issues with SW at the moment you will have to look elsewhere. TS Optics and Altair both offer 80mm ED doublets. You will also need a reducer/flattener to go with it.

SW ED80: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-ota.html
Altair 80EDR: https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-80ed-r-ed-doublet-refractor-telescope-466-p.asp
TS Optics 80ED: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8637_TS-Optics-Doublet-SD-APO-80mm-f-7---FPL-53---Lanthan-Objective.html

I'd strongly recommend getting your 1100d astro-modded or buy a 2nd hand astro-modded dslr unless you plan to upgrade to a cooled OSC (or even mono + filters) camera soon. Being able to capture Ha is important for shooting nebulae. Your QHY can be used as a guide camera (or casual imaging for planets), so don't forget to pick up a 50mm guidescope when buying the main scope.

• 1 month later...

Thanks KP82

The mount i bought ended up being out of stock and it has taken me until yesterday to source a good used one at the right price.  This one came with a power-pack and a polemaster, which I'm very pleased with.

So, I then had a look at what funds I had left yesterday and decided to go for an ALTAIR STARWAVE 70 ED TRIPLET APO REFRACTOR.  I have had to  up my budget somewhat to buy it of course.  I confess, I hadn't seen your post prior to making the purchase.  I'm guessing its not a bad choice but please tell me your thoughts.

I am now looking for a guide scope and bracket that will fit.  Also, I believe I will need a flattener?

So looking forward to receiving the scope.  I am very impressed with the mount and can't wait to get the scope mounted and give it a try.

Pete 

• 2 years later...