Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

was testing out a new lens, caught this

fireleiend

I was just testing out a new lens hand held.. and spotted this black dot going down the moon. It doesn't quiet look like ISS, and I tried a search of my long/lat and I couldn't find that the ISS was passing at this time from my new. The ISS has a slightly different shape from my experience. I was at  about  37.633050, -77.356091 taken at 600mm and cropped so you can see it. Middle section going downward. Would love to know what it is. Sorry they are crappy hand held I was just messing around. I think it was 9-ish but I can't say for sure.. 8-10pm though.

B43A1304.jpgB43A1305.jpg

B43A1306.jpg

Edited by fireleiend

Nice image! The Moon looks very dramatic with clouds passing over it. Regarding the black dot, could it have been a bird? When I was observing the Moon a couple of nights ago it was low in the sky and birds would occasionally fly over it. 

Have you tried https://www.heavens-above.com/ and looking at daily predictions for brighter satellites? Other than the ISS, I don’t think any other satellites would have such a large apparent size though.  

What's the interval between the images? Any satellite at the height of the ISS will only take a fraction of a second to cross the Moon, and any other satellites would be similar. If the moon was near the celestial equator it could be a geostationary satellite which would take longer to cross the Moon, but I don't think it would have that parh

I'd say it's possibly a balloon, possibly a high altitude weather balloon. 

Edited by Gfamily