Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hals

Casita Observatory build

Recommended Posts

Regarding the roof run off beams, I did originally intend to sit them lower than the shed wall tops but it looks like too much of a faff to do. I'll take the easier option of sitting them on top of the wall tops. Roof will be higher with a larger gap but hey ho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting project...

I did similar using a tin shed. The wall height  did restrict the views but with all the surrounding houses etc etc it was not a real issue.

When I moved to St Leonards I inherited a 6 x 3 mtr workshop. Decided to remove the roof over half and run it back over the existing section.

The pier I had was extending by welding and adding a "Titantic anchor!!" extension piece to bring the telescope closer to the the wall height.

It's been is use now for almost four years - no issues no drama other than due to the mount height visual observing is very (very!) difficult and everything is now controlled "semi-remotely"

 

 

TSO_100_0873.jpg

TSO2_03.jpg

TSO2_05.jpg

mainsail obs 002.JPG

mainsail obs 006.JPG

Mainsail Obs2 005s.jpg

Mainsail Obs 001s.jpg

Mainsail Obs 012s.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roll off beams in place! Test fitted the roof frame, fits and slides very nicely. Still got to sort the guide rails, finish and felt the roof and fill the roof side gaps. Feels like an Obsy now! 

IMG_20201117_131112978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201117_131406389_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201117_144006699.jpg

IMG_20201117_144013657.jpg

IMG_20201117_144203706.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking lovely, not easy building an obsy. What are you going to name it at the naming ceremony? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Looking lovely, not easy building an obsy. What are you going to name it at the naming ceremony? 

Cheers, I'm going to call it The Casita Observatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hals said:

Cheers, I'm going to call it The Casita Observatory.

I'm a numpty, it's in the title, lol. 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95% complete 👍 Apologies for the lack of build photos I had some dodgy weather and limited time so cracked on with it. Roof is held in place with x4 angled turnbuckles but I'm going to replace them with heavier duty ones as soon as I can. Need to sort some paint too yet. I'll put some more pictures on in due course. Just need to get the gear inside and set up and wait for first light. Wahey !!! I' ve got an observatory at last.

IMG_20201121_094503824.jpg

IMG_20201121_094948067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094343523_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094330514_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094258548_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Hals
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hals said:

95% complete 👍 Apologies for the lack of build photos I had some dodgy weather and limited time so cracked on with it. Roof is held in place with x4 angled turnbuckles but I'm going to replace them with heavier duty ones as soon as I can. Need to sort some paint too yet. I'll put some more pictures on in due course. Just need to get the gear inside and set up and wait for first light. Wahey !!! I' ve got an observatory at last.

IMG_20201121_094503824.jpg

IMG_20201121_094948067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094343523_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094330514_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094258548_HDR~2.jpg

Very impressive with the speed of your observatory build, its looking great. Every astronomers dream their own observatory have fun and clear skies 🌌📷🔭

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely build. I'd get a security bar that goes straight across the door, those latches are easily snapped off with a little force. I had a RoR broken into while on holiday several years ago with three latches and pad locks. They took my 12inch SCT at the time and never recovered. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment added
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Lovely build. I'd get a security bar that goes straight across the door, those latches are easily snapped off with a little force. I had a RoR broken into while on holiday several years ago with three latches and pad locks. They took my 12inch SCT at the time and never recovered. 

Security bars are on my to do list 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might rename it the "66" Obsy...reminds me of one of these 🤣

IMG_20201121_094258548_HDR~2.jpg

66782-cred-gbrf-e1559677543386.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First light from the newly built Casita Observatory. NGC 1499 The California Nebula, 20 x 120 sec unguided subs, had problems with my guide cam plus I didn't frame it properly. Just wanted to get something in the bag!

Then a pair of old favourites, M81 & 82. 10 x 300 sec subs, guide camera sorted by this point.

Both with WO Star 71 II & unmodded Canon 80D DSLR. Altair Quad-band filter.

What a revelation not having to lug all the gear and set up, take down, not having the cold wind at your back, shaded from all the lights etc.

 

NGC 1499 MERGED.jpg

M81 and M82 crop.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic build and great write up. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Fantastic build and great write up. 

Cheers Terry. I'll add a few more pics once I've tidied it up a bit and beefed up security etc. I've really enjoyed doing it, definitely one of those "why didn't I do this sooner" moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work and great to see some fantastic images for your guiding issues to get something, I'd be ecstatic with them, will look forward to more great images from your observatory. It must be so good to not need to move anything into the garden and set up, plus stay in the warm as you said. Clear skies 🔭📷🌌

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LeeHore7 said:

Amazing work and great to see some fantastic images for your guiding issues to get something, I'd be ecstatic with them, will look forward to more great images from your observatory. It must be so good to not need to move anything into the garden and set up, plus stay in the warm as you said. Clear skies 🔭📷🌌

Cheers Lee. The warm was relative, it still got pretty cold last night. Just keeping the wind off makes a world of difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hals said:

Cheers Lee. The warm was relative, it still got pretty cold last night. Just keeping the wind off makes a world of difference

Yes the chill wind when I'm using my dslr outside isn't good, so with you having your observatory to shield you does make it so much better, enjoy, clear skies 🌌📷🔭

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgraded the roof hold down turnbuckles, much better.

IMG_20201125_204513920.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've now fitted an extension to my Todmorden pier so that I have a better Southern view. Many thanks to David B (@Skipper Billy) for pointing me towards it on FLO clearance. I've also beefed up the security considerably, details of which I won't elaborate on for obvious reasons. I will have to do a custom park now as the roof won't clear the scope in the usual home position. Again it's waiting for a clear sky to re-polar align then off we go 👍

IMG_20201129_141457721.jpg

Edited by Hals
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Looking great, I could do with one of those long extension's, what length is that? 

Old school...it's 16 inches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.