SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Testing my new binoviewer and 102ED-R

RobertI

13 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

@JeremyS they are the standard WO 20mm pair that come with the bino.

Correct. I had feared some abysmal views based on reports of the eyepieces, so to get good views at 175x and be able to merge the images was very satisfying. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

I've read a number of reports on binoviewers which reckon that the quality of the eyepieces you use with them is less important than if you are observing in cyclops mode. I guess being able to use two eyes is much more benefit than minor differences in eyepiece performance ?

Thanks John, I hadn’t come across this, but sounds right. I did try cyclops viewing without the BV as a comparison, and I can’t say the BV image was any sharper, in fact it might have slightly softer, but it’s just easier to keep the eyes  trained on the disc and easier to discern the detail with BVs, cyclops viewing seemed very strained by comparison.  I’m sure most of the reason is that the brain just works better in stereo mode, its more natural.

16 minutes ago, John said:

I just wish that I could get on with the things !

That’s frustrating - what problems do you get? 

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Thanks John, I hadn’t come across this, but sounds right. I did try cyclops viewing without the BV as a comparison, and I can’t say the BV image was any sharper, in fact it might have slightly softer, but it’s just easier to keep the eyes  trained on the disc and easier to discern the detail with BVs, cyclops viewing seemed very strained by comparison.  I’m sure most of the reason is that the brain just works better in stereo mode, its more natural.

That’s frustrating - what problems do you get? 

I just prefer using a single eyepiece. I have tried binoviewers a few times in the past with various scopes but I just don't enjoy using them as much as I do the single eyepiece.

It's great that you like them though :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Great thread, Rob and well done on getting some great views at last!👍😊.

A good prism diagonal will definitely give you more in focus  leeway.

I use the Baader T2 prism with my FS128 and Revelation bvs. I can just get sharp focus with NO ocs or Barlow with my pair of Morpheus 17.5mms, so about 55x in my setup. 

I actually prefer to add in a Baader 2.25x zoom Barlow or WO 1.6x nosepiece for Mars and other planets as you need more magnification to extract maximum detail..I've also found Mars to be just too bright at low power.

The Tak 1.25" prism is also very good, but IMO the Baader T2 prism with either the 1.25" T2 nosepiece or a low profile 2" barrel one is better able to handle the heft of a bv loaded with two heavy-ish/largish Morpheus eyepieces - I wouldn't trust that lot hanging off the lightweight plastic collet of the Tak prism!

Using Binoviewers can be very frustrating until you get it right, and takes thought, preparation and experimentation..but boy, when it comes good, it delivers an outstanding and satisfying observing experience!😎😁

Dave

IMG_20201022_141419707_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201022_141123276_HDR_copy_600x800.jpg

IMG_20201022_141158494_HDR_copy_600x800.jpg

IMG_20200822_122419976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200822_122320581.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 5

On 31/10/2020 at 09:48, RobertI said:

Look forward to your reports - feel free to add to this thread. 👍

Had a quick blast (30mins) with my BV's last night before clouds came over and was immediately impressed by the size of the moon. 

Used my Tak FC-100DL & Baader T2 with supplied WO barlow screwed into the diagonal nose piece, no problems with merging or focusing the image, although rather soft compared to my sharp cyclops images. 

Like Dave @F15Rules says I need more time for "preparation and experimentation" before I see the full benefits of these BV's.  

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jock1958 said:

although rather soft compared to my sharp cyclops images.

Try swapping out the WO OCS/GPC with a high quality Barlow nose piece.  The two OCSs/GPCs that came with my Arcturus BV were both garbage.  They added a weird coma effect to all stars across the entire field, as if there was a tilted element in there somewhere.  I generally use the nose piece from a vintage Meade 140 2x Barlow.  The views are super sharp.  I also recently tried a Parks Gold Series 2x (same as Celestron Ultima and Orion Shorty Plus) Barlow, and it was equally sharp.

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2020 at 19:33, RobertI said:

Hi Louis, I was using in the 102ED-R (hiding in the title of the thread! ;)) - I was particularly interested in trying it on this scope as I was not sure how it would work (I'm confident it will work in the C8). It's good to know you can get focus in your dob, it might be that I can use the binoviewers in my 150PL in that case. Interesting that your 2x barlow becomes 3x, whereas my 1.3x barlow becomes 5x!! I guess all barlows would behave differently in this setup? Never quite got my head around barlows! :)

Hi  I use the Williams bino with supplied 1.6 Barlow on my C8 with no trouble at all. T's pretty close to the focus position of wiewing with a single eyepeice.