30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

COMPLETED - .965" to 1.25" hybrid diagonal

Relpet

Something like the attached picture.  Just brought a 60mm refractor from the 1980s back to life but the original diagonal is a sloppy fit.  A straight adaptor proves the 'scope works perfectly with 1.25" EPs but a decent diagonal would be the cherry on the iced bun.

They are readily available in the States but can't find a retailer here.  So, if you have one gathering dust that you've been reluctant to throw out please let me know.

image.png

Thanks Mathieu.  We meet again.  I bought a couple of 1.25 diagonals from you earlier this year through ABS and I was able to combine the Televue with a straight adapter I bought a few days ago for some lunar observing this evening after advice from another member.  The combination worked well with a number of different eyepieces from 40mm down to 7mm.  Far superior to the original .965 EPs.

I hope all is well with you.

Salut

Peter

Hello,

I was in the same situation recently, having bought a 77/910 vintage japanese refractor and the best solution is the vixen 36.4mm to 1.25' adaptator. This screws directly on most vintage fracs and allows you to use a standard 1.25' diagonal without diafragming it (ie. you get the whole field on the wider/long focal lenght EPs.

https://www.astroshop.de/fr/adaptateurs-et-bagues-de-reduction/vixen-adaptateur-d-oculaire-36-4mm-raccords-a-visser-sur-1-25-/p,5850

On 03/11/2020 at 16:00, Matt Baldwater said:

Also, was it you who was looking for a flange for a refractor

Not me, Mathieu.  With both our countries locked down I don't expect to be back in France before 2021 but if I need anything I'll be in touch.

On 03/11/2020 at 16:11, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Hello,

I was in the same situation recently, having bought a 77/910 vintage japanese refractor and the best solution is the vixen 36.4mm to 1.25' adaptator. This screws directly on most vintage fracs and allows you to use a standard 1.25' diagonal without diafragming it (ie. you get the whole field on the wider/long focal lenght EPs.

https://www.astroshop.de/fr/adaptateurs-et-bagues-de-reduction/vixen-adaptateur-d-oculaire-36-4mm-raccords-a-visser-sur-1-25-/p,5850

Thanks, Raph.  Using an adaptor similar to the one you recommend, plus a TeleVue diagonal, I was able to get out for some lunar observing last week using a number of my favourite 1.25" EPs.  It was interesting from a novelty point of view but it will be returned to the owner soon as I don't think I would ever use it in preference to any of my modern telescopes.

• Like 1