Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS 6D was the most commonly used camera by Astronomy Photographer of the Year finalists in 2019 & 2020

Analysis of all pictures shortlisted for the Royal Museums Greenwich Astronomy Photographer of the Year for 2019 and 2020 and found that the Canon EOS 6D was the most commonly used camera.

Not bad for an ageing (2012) DSLR that can be picked up used for about $500. Is really worth spending big on cameras like the Canon EOS Ra or a recent Sony mirrorless model?

I bought my first dslr earlier in the year, a 700D, and recently had a little look at some newer models. Then I quickly realised, as Matt above alludes to, that it won't help me much if at all seeing as I still have much to learn, especially when it comes to editing, and even basic stuff like framing. So my 7 year old camera certainly isn't limiting me at the moment.

These older cameras are perfectly capable to keep a novice busy for a good while before needing to upgrade or spend big. So I think there will always be a market for them for a good while yet as more people get into astrophotography for the first time. If I had to spend more at the moment, it would be on a new lens.

2 hours ago, YellowLeaves2020 said:

Analysis of all pictures shortlisted for the Royal Museums Greenwich Astronomy Photographer of the Year for 2019 and 2020 and found that the Canon EOS 6D was the most commonly used camera.

Not bad for an ageing (2012) DSLR that can be picked up used for about $500. Is really worth spending big on cameras like the Canon EOS Ra or a recent Sony mirrorless model?

Although I have recently bought a dedicated Astro Camera, I have had a Canon 7d mkii for over 5 years and don't feel a need to upgrade. It's quite capable of producing images that are good for prints at A2. The next change for me will be the Canon R series at some point in future, but not until they get a bit cheaper and there is a good choice of native lenses. The driver for that change will be when I have the desire (or need) for a smaller and lighter system.

@Ken82 that's a fab image.

Very surprising as I've seen so many good images with the Sony Alpha series.

Funnily enough, when I was talking with many photographers for DLS R advice  (come across quite a few in my line of work) they always say "Get the 6d or a D850 but a D750 if you can't afford the 850)" ... 

It would also be worthwhile seeing the breakdown by total entries and by individuals.  If multiple entries are allowed one particular prevalent imager continued to post many images then it is possible this distorts the figures somewhat.  There is always a risk that bias can creeps in as well from those considering the images (and it may well be sub-conscious).  This way you can ensure assessments are balanced (and it is always worth checking even if it turns out there is none). 

Yes I noticed that as I have the 2019 book - that the 6D seemed to be very popular with Astro imagers, and not amateur imagers by any means. Often you'll see 6Ds paired with very expensive mounts, so these guys know their stuff.

The other thing which struck me is the integration times of the images which feature in the book - skim through and you'll find 20-50 hours average integration time. 

So many people are in a rush to put forward an image after 3 hours integration, which is fine, but to get those stellar results you really need to plough as much data as possible, in essence each image needs to become it's own project which can take several months to complete.

There again there are so many variables involved nowadays with so many options to choose from in terms of optics speed and light gathering capabilities / sky quality etc. that results can vary in mileage quite considerably.

I guess as technology improves those super long integration times won't be required, as much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 11:51, Space Hopper said:

It just misses that articulating screen that it has on the 6D2

Not sure that is really that important, as most stuff is done through the computer. Nice feature for low down work with insects and the like, but looking totally the opposite way.

These are some of my first tracked astro images with a 6D

large.M104-Edit-Edit.jpg.b3e24102ec64f01b61ef28b5784a90be.jpglarge.1432875278_horseheadflamenebulas.jpg.a08a92f4fe23fbf4ac7b1a68421f294d.jpglarge.m42-Edit.jpg.899c9f96e2490e17a8903c52bfc5dbca.jpg

and one from when perhaps an articulated screen might have helped, but I also found the view finder, just that little quicker to respond.

IMG_7061-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.76b0501ce3007251333b69d031cf9def.jpgIMG_7084-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.3daa45ec7c051b5c3adbd0a189fbef34.jpg

I only started on a more astro photography basis in Jan 2020

Edited by Nicola Hannah Butterfield

I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. A DSLR is indeed a great camera, I used a 6D myself, but don't underestimate the power of cooling. It is a whole different level of clear image you get from a - 40C sensor compared to a 30C heated by a 600 seconds shot. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tomato said:

Aren’t the results skewed a bit by the most popular category being landscapes?
A DSLR tends to be the camera of choice for a landscape shot.

Not sure about the 2020 awards but I have the 2019 awards book. Most of the Deep Sky Images are taken with 6Ds.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to the "must have the latest tech" folks there are some fantastic DSLR deals around as loads turn to mirrorless systems ... 😉

I've just snapped up an EOS 6D with only 16,000 on the clock for £220 for my whitelight solar imaging on the Evostar 150 ... :icon_biggrin:

WEX , MPB and Park Cameras are well worth checking on a regular basis ... :happy7:

The canon 6d is a great way of tackling slower scopes with larger image circles. Scopes like the EdgeHD 800, while not able to entirely fill out a full frame, still benefits from the extra size of both the sensor and the pixels, and the relatively low noise. I only sold my canon 6d because I decided to move away from those kinds of scopes (think EdgeHD, Rumak, ect..).