Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Rob

1.25" Tak diagonal considerations

All,

I have a 2" dielectric diagonal generic svbony 99%, not entirely sure 99%, but good quality all the same in fairness!. I want a 1.25" Diagonal of quality to sit in the grab n go setup for the ed80, but to also use with the Bresser 127L tbh. I have my eye on the Tak prism 1.25". Now I hope this would sit well in the ED80 at F6.8?.. no question I'm sure with the 127L at F9.5.

Any opinions or comments from those that have one or similar would be good, or even opinions on another considerations.

Thanks in advanced

Stay Safe.... Rob

Edited by Rob

F/7 is usually taken as the minimum for using a prism diagonal so probably OK in the 6.8. 🤔

The Tak prism is OK optically but has a plastic locking collet and no filter thread on the nosepiece.

Prefer the build quality and adaptability of the basic Baader prism but looks like being out of stock until January. The Zeiss  version is available but more expensive and very little improvement.

With the Baader using T2 threads you can fit a 2” nosepiece if you want or even a 2” eyepiece holder to the top.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

I've got a tak prism and a Baader t2 prism. I only really use the Baader these days as it is stronger and more versatile.

• Thanks 1

I recently received an Svbony 1.25-inch diagonal that the ad said was dielectric, seems very well made and at the time was at a reduced price too from their Ali store, think it was under USD30. Mainly got it for the cheapie Celestron LT70 to replace its plastic thing but likely will use it on the TAL at least as much maybe more.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

In fairness the SVbony 2" I have is optically very good, just quite heavy. I got it on Amazon in 2018 .. I think I paid £38 in a flash sale!. so cost to performance I cant fault it really...

SVbony Dielectric Diagonal.jpg

Edited by Rob

this was the one I bought and it performs very nicely and is solid. No idea how you verify it is dielectric but it compared well against the TAL diagonal I have, couldn't tell any difference. As you said, at that price...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881221402.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.54138306lLwVpv&algo_pvid=f5587306-8516-4db9-852f-931bbc265a13&algo_expid=f5587306-8516-4db9-852f-931bbc265a13-0&btsid=0b0a555c16039867688276822e75fb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Also handled the huge Svbony SV171 8-24mm zoom easily and that thing is pretty heavy 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paz said:

I've got a tak prism and a Baader t2 prism. I only really use the Baader these days as it is stronger and more versatile.

Same here.