Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Van Den Burgh 152 - Nikon D800E

tooth_dr

I did debate whether to post this or not, but given the total lack of clear sky prospects for deep sky imaging, here it is!  I have spent many many hours trying to process this, and gave up.  The scope wasnt collimated properly and as such the stars etc are disappointing.  This was my first attempt at OSC with the Nikon D800E and Epsilon.   It represents 4 hours 20 minutes of 5 minute exposures, ISO 400.   Having said all that, it does seem that this camera is leaps and bounds ahead of my Canon 40d.

Thanks for looking!

Adam

LDN1251-5-RGB-Tak_Nikon.thumb.jpg.ab964170682e10a8e682fc8f8cb1ef57.jpg

LDN1251-5-RGB-Tak_Nikon-uncropped.thumb.jpg.3a1c699f08f6300a06191a252c7af165.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

I think this really shows the potential of the Epsilon with a Osc, yes it's a pity about the stars but so many positives too. Colour and detail is great. 

Where are you with the collimation? Have Takahashi had any input yet?

Takahashi have been helpful and have sent me diagrams and instructions.  The issue I currently have is with the stock focuser. It’s poor and needs sorted out.  It’s sloppy with lateral movement, very disappointing. The Tak is currently off the mount and I’ve been using my old 10” to get some images of Mars. I plan to get the Tak back on the mount next week as I’ve got about as far I can with Mars. 

12 minutes ago, AKB said:

Indeed, @tooth_dr where also are you with the focuser...?

Tony

Hi Tony. The stock focuser isn’t good, I suspect it has a fault.  I don’t think I’ll be selling the Moonlite, as I will aim to get it back on again, it’s just 100x nicer. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

The stock focuser isn’t good

It’s sad, for such an otherwise classy scope.  My other fast wish-list scope (Officinia Stellare RH200) also seems it would need a better focuser too.  A never-ending saga...

....although, hopefully, yours will end happily ever after.

23 minutes ago, AKB said:

It’s sad, for such an otherwise classy scope.  My other fast wish-list scope (Officinia Stellare RH200) also seems it would need a better focuser too.  A never-ending saga...

....although, hopefully, yours will end happily ever after.

Thanks for this.  I know that there are several users with Epsilons that think the focusers are ok.  I'm tempted to see if Takahashi in France will take a look at it and try to fix it.  If it was to work properly, I was planning on fitting the DSD AS3 focuser to it, as he does list a 3d bracket for it.

Wow, that's come out lovely Adam,

Your Camera scope combination is working a treat.

Is it my eyes or does there appear to be a bit of O3 trying to squeeze,

through in a little round patch  with what looks like a bit of HA on the 

first image , Middle, just over 3/4 of the way to the right, i can not remember,

seeing that in other images of this target.

its probably my eyes, lol, ether way a cracking image.

well done

Paul

1 hour ago, ultranova said:

Wow, that's come out lovely Adam,

Your Camera scope combination is working a treat.

Is it my eyes or does there appear to be a bit of O3 trying to squeeze,

through in a little round patch  with what looks like a bit of HA on the 

first image , Middle, just over 3/4 of the way to the right, i can not remember,

seeing that in other images of this target.

its probably my eyes, lol, ether way a cracking image.

well done

Paul

Paul - thanks!  Yes there is a little blue patch, and some faint Ha streaks. I dont think the stock camera is too good in the red

I spent last night gathering data on this, but the data is soft probably due to the moisture that was in the atmosphere - I could see the moisture shining in my headlamp beam.  But perhaps it is not that, and in fact using a OSC colour (Nikon DSLR in this case) is just better than the mono camera I was using last night for luminance.

I spent a few hours today, and really couldnt add anything to the image.    I did capture some 20 minute subs in Ha last night also using the ED80 and this gave me some detail in the red channel that wasn't there before.

Image 1 - HaRGB

Image 2 - Lum from last night = [removed word]

vdb152-HaRGB-layer-2.thumb.jpg.0b049a329ac4baf78a1987227241b1ab.jpg

vdb152-LUM-layer-2.thumb.jpg.273d533b447d7e71db7b81cde8bd0e09.jpg