Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sister stretch!

Rustang

If any one fancies a stretch it would really help me out. Ive been struggling with this data all night, I have never done a star mask before to help tame the stars but I just cant seem to get a good result. I'm not sure once again if my flats have worked either! On the plus side, the guiding went really well after doing some cable adjustments and some setting tweek's so I'm really pleased about that.

The data contains no Dark's as I'm hoping the dithering has worked this time! It's only 3hrs worth so not expecting miracles but hopefully something nice

TheSevenSisters2.TIF

Edited by Rustang

I had a very quick process with PI and came up with this.

It's not the best because I didn't have the time to do some processes I would normally.

There's a dust bunny in the top left of the image and some vignetting around the edges. There's also a green area just below the lowest of the brightest stars and I can't figure out what that is. 

There's good nebulosity captured though and given more time I could have done better with with that. 

I don't think I've really done the image justice, I may have another go tomorrow, but time to hit the sack just now. ;)

TheSevenSisters2.png.8210de90ca026d131910e94f04ad0749.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for having a stab, yeah the dust bunny seems a regular thing now I can't shift, might be flats not working. The green annomerly I'm not sure about either. The blue/green background haze (not the little green spot we know about!) is that supposed to be there? It came through very strong on my edit which I was concerned was another issue!? 

Edited by Rustang

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

For some reason none of my programs will open your TIFF. Odd.

Even odder... I could read the file (with PixInsight) but any attempt to screen stretch, or the like, resulted in an error...

Tony

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKB said:

Even odder... I could read the file (with PixInsight) but any attempt to screen stretch, or the like, resulted in an error...

Tony

Hmmm, PI just refused to open it for me. I closed it in PI but then AstroArt wouldn't let me rename it because it was still open in PI - which it wasn't. Other members might prefer not to download it till this is resolved.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

I can re post a 16 bit file later. I save a 32 bit and then change to 16 bit in PS, I remember reading somewhere that's what's best to do but please correct me if I'm wrong and should just be saving and editing a 16bit file!

A very quick process just to see what's there.  Glad to see I'm not the only one to suffer from light pollution gradients, I'm not sure I've removed it completely but I wasn't looking for perfection.  Apart from from the dust bunnies, their appears to be a green 'smudge' between Alcyone and Atlas/Pleione that may prove difficult to remove.  And thanks for letting me have a quick play with your data.

m45.thumb.jpg.0ae7c144f628e1adb098d28e6f1fd362.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seelive said:

A very quick process just to see what's there.  Glad to see I'm not the only one to suffer from light pollution gradients, I'm not sure I've removed it completely but I wasn't looking for perfection.  Apart from from the dust bunnies, their appears to be a green 'smudge' between Alcyone and Atlas/Pleione that may prove difficult to remove.  And thanks for letting me have a quick play with your data.

m45.thumb.jpg.0ae7c144f628e1adb098d28e6f1fd362.jpg

Looking good, those stars are very difficult to tame arnt they! 

I guess if I'm honest I'm a little disappointed in my data, here's my first ever M45 attempt when I first started. This was from memory an hours worth of 1min subs. Compare that to 3hrs worth of 5min subs, I'm a little disappointed not to see more nebulosity. I had some strange coloured anomalies in that image too! 

Screenshot_20201029_063659_com.instagram.android-01.jpeg

5 hours ago, Rustang said:

controlled the stars

Hi

It's not easy to describe. In StarTools, we manipulate the data where it should be; in a database/tracking engine. We obviate the need to endlessly manipulate piles of windows with lines on graphs or adjust curves, levels, masks and layers. If you're even a bit conversant with IT, you should pick it up quickly. There's a free trial.

I'm certain its author, @jager945 could explain far better than I;)

Cheers and HTH.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Here's my quick attempt. Could definitely do with using flats, there's a few dust motes in there.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5a114e2ea3574197b4066e47f2009376.jpg

Thanks for having a crack at it, great result. I had flats but again they Haven't worked even though they had before, it seems a continuous issue so need to look into it again. How did you find the data besides that? You managed to keep the stars down a little, do you use photoshop? 

49 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Thanks for having a crack at it, great result. I had flats but again they Haven't worked even though they had before, it seems a continuous issue so need to look into it again. How did you find the data besides that? You managed to keep the stars down a little, do you use photoshop? 

I used a combination of PixInsight and PS.

The data as it stands isn't terrible but not knowing your kit and skies I can't comment further. For 3 hours I'd have possibly expected a bit more nebulosity and a bit less noise. 

5 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

I used a combination of PixInsight and PS.

The data as it stands isn't terrible but not knowing your kit and skies I can't comment further. For 3 hours I'd have possibly expected a bit more nebulosity and a bit less noise. 

Kit is SW80 ED DS pro, SW HEQ5 Pro mount guided through PHD2, camera (a weak link! ) Canon 600D modified. I was hoping for more nebulosity as well considering its better but not that much better than my first attempt when I first started which is posted above. Bortel rating 5/6.

I'm always happy to see where I stand with my gear and if I'm getting the best of it and taking into consideration the light poluted sky. 

Edited by Rustang