Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranus and Neptune

Mike JW

The moon was blazing away and not far from Neptune but I just fancied playing with the STF/camera having had a visual look at the moon (sketched my final lunar 100 crater), nice visual on Mars, a double as well.

Uranus: - love to see the dance of the five moons. Miranda was lost in the glare of Uranus.

Neptune: - with Triton near by. One day I must track down Nereid (it was just out of shot).

A tawny owl was hooting for much of the session. 

Mike

456125119_URANUSand4moons28Oct20_17_15_18.jpg.382ca243027a087a0d3fd277930b915f.jpg1969439459_NEPTUNE27Oct20_20_55_33.jpg.d548989d5fe25eb04ac3208e99555240.jpg

• Like 10

Love it. Screech Owl! We have a Little Owl that sweeps the sky above our garden and is called Screech. The stumpy little thing has ruined a few of my subs by perching on the end of the OTA. Still love it being around though.

Great capture by the way. I have observed Uranus and Neptune but never a moon.

Marv

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 18:05, Martin Meredith said:

Great to see some of the outer planets and their satellites. Funny you should have an owl too; I have what I think is a screech owl flying across my FOV round about the same time each night (11'ish)!

Martin

If screeching it is a Barn Owl, I have one makes me jump when out in the dark, Tawny do the Twit twoo thing lol, I have one of those occasionally fly past also.

eric

2 hours ago, Planitair said:

If screeching it is a Barn Owl, I have one makes me jump when out in the dark, Tawny do the Twit twoo thing lol, I have one of those occasionally fly past also.

eric

Not so sure. I have seen my little owl friend (screech) through bins open beak and screech. There is a small possibility that my fat round feathered friend maybe a Scops Owl but they are so close I couldn't tell the difference and a Scopes may make a screech noise.

I sometimes here the Twit twoo and always put it down to a Barn Owl, but I maybe entirely wrong. This Owl thing is getting complicated. Can you imagine what they would think if they knew they were the topic of conversation on the web? Probably wouldn't care…. oooh there's a mouse.

Marv

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I was wondering if someone migh have an idea if I have actually shot a planet (Neptune or Uranus) or star in this shot.  I know it dates from October 28th 2017.  I tried the online planetarium but it does not show anything.  Also this [removed word] was taking when shooting the Moon in video mode through my Nikon D3200 DSLR camera.  Thanks in advance.

Meade Lightbridge 12inch no GOTO

Nikon D3200 (video mode)

ES 14mm

Uranus maybe 28 oct 2017.jpg

Uranus maybe 28 oct 2017 1.jpg