Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I’ve been using my 8’ Edge HD on an Evolution mount for a couple of years now and I added a wedge to it a few months back. Using SkyPortal with StarSense I’ve never really had any major issues getting it aligned. 

Last night I was setting up to photograph Mars and went through my normal procedure. StarSense took its images but, after confirming success with the third plate, instead of just winding up a bit and parking it proceeded to pitch the ota towards the north well below the horizon.

Fortunately nothing snagged. I skipped the ASPA and instructed it to goto Mars and was surprised to find it was spot on (better than usual actually).

Anyone any ideas why it took that nose dive? Thanks.

Eeek, a scary moment! Have you updated the handset for the change from BST to GMT?

49 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

Eeek, a scary moment! Have you updated the handset for the change from BST to GMT?

Just a bit! 😬 Using SkyPortal on my iPad the date, time and location are always current, so maybe not that unless they can clash somehow?

20 minutes ago, Ade Turner said:

Just a bit! 😬 Using SkyPortal on my iPad the date, time and location are always current, so maybe not that unless they can clash somehow?

Has Skyportal updated recently? There was a bug in CPWI recently that cased a Starsense alignment to do the exact same thing. I wonder if Celestron have managed to replicate the same bug in Skyportal as well.

Are you on the latest firmware?
There was some mention of "SSA Camera causing short run away slews" that was fixed in the latest (Sept 2020) release.

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Has Skyportal updated recently? There was a bug in CPWI recently that cased a Starsense alignment to do the exact same thing. I wonder if Celestron have managed to replicate the same bug in Skyportal as well.

Ah, maybe, although I can’t recall when the SkyPortal app last updated. Sounds plausible.

2 hours ago, globular said:

Are you on the latest firmware?
There was some mention of "SSA Camera causing short run away slews" that was fixed in the latest (Sept 2020) release.

Must admit, I last updated the firmware towards the end of last year. I’ll get onto that as I should’ve been on top of it anyway. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Ade Turner said:

I’d certainly make sure the handset is correct. You might also check the official teamcelestron forum (free to join) for beta firmware 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

I’d certainly make sure the handset is correct. You might also check the official teamcelestron forum (free to join) for beta firmware 

I’ll certainly be checking it out before I use it again, along with updating the firmware. Thanks.

• Like 1