SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Sketch of Mars

melsmore

First the disclaimer. This is my first attempt to sketch Mars, or indeed any planet. Also, it started to rain and I had to abandon it with some urgency (hence no orientation marker). I used a HB pencil and a blending stump. But I think I can see a couple of features that match Ade Ashford's app.

The Wratten 21 filter improved the view enormously (although you may find that hard to believe looking at the picture) helping show the surface detail and improving the seeing. I tried it the day before in my 80mm refractor, but that just made the image too dim, but on the 115mm it was very good, so I recommend it to anyone with 115mm or larger.

I tried sketching the moon (Plato) several years ago, but SWMBO pronounced it (I'll paraphrase her here) more Feline Anatomical than Selenographical. While this one may look more like a two year's old attempt at drawing a rabbit, at least no one can confuse it with the rear end of the cat. So regardless of the criticism I receive here, I'll give it another go tonight (weather permitting). 🧐

Mars001.jpg

• Like 5

Nice sketch :thumbright:

For me it's the sketching process - taking extra time at the eyepiece and studying every available detail - that makes sketching so rewarding.  The end sketch is a nice record to have as a reminder of the enjoyable sessions but not the reason for doing it.  In your case though I don't think you have anything to worry about - definitely more rabbit than cat's bottom! :)

Edited by globular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice sketch Melsmore- looks like you’re getting loads of detail there. I’m really enjoying the process of sketching and really look forward to it now- hope you keep at it 👍

2 hours ago, globular said:

For me it's the sketching process - taking extra time at the eyepiece and studying every available detail - that makes sketching so rewarding. 

exactly this- staring at a planet for ages can seem a bit pointless but sketching seems to justify the process and really makes you look for every subtle detail and i think see more! Certainly helps me form a picture in my mind of the features and start to learn the “map’ better

2 hours ago, globular said:

The end sketch is a nice record to have as a reminder of the enjoyable sessions but not the reason for doing it.

It’s nice to put them up here and get encouragement and discussion and feel part of something but like Globular says it’s not the reason for doing it- that happens at the eyepiece 😉

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 2