Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on a mount

I recently moved back to Ireland, having been in the USA a long time, and I had to leave my 8 inch Dob behind. What i did bring was two OTA, a 80 mm Orion Goscope refractor, and an Explore Scientific  100mm Mak. Now i do has a basic alt az mount for these but i have a longing for a very basic GoTo system like the iOptron cube-e. Would that work ok?

P.S. sorry if this shouldnt be a beginner question

Edited by xvariablestarx

I have never used one of those but I use this regularly. It is goto and tracks, operates off AA batteries which last for ever and operates via a smart phone app. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi-alt-az-mount-tripod.html

BAHHH you beat me to it John, haha 😆

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

I have never used one of those but I use this regularly. It is goto and tracks, operates off AA batteries which last for ever and operates via a smart phone app. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi-alt-az-mount-tripod.html

BAHHH you beat me to it John, haha 😆

Great minds think alike. 😁😁😁

• Like 1

The SW and Celestron mounts are a totaly different design. Not had any problems with the WiFi on my AZ-GTi.

The only problem people seem to have with the WiFi is the initial setup with their phone. You do need to have the WiFi settings on your phone set up properly. The auto power off is the usual problem if settings not changed..

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

As per the above you just set your phone so it does not auto sleep, also make sure your phone is connected to the mount wifi and away you go. It really isn't complicated and I have never had any problems with it. 

As mentioned above mine is also flashed to do EQ mode and I added a cheap wedge so now it has multiple uses.

Usefully, you can also connect to it from the Plus versions of the Stellarium and Sky Safari apps, so you can use those for GOTO as well as the SynScan apps (each around £6.50 - £7.50)

You may need to adjust the battery optimisation settings for the app, but it's a neat way of using the mount. 

I use the Stay Awake app to keep my phone from sleeping. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1