Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Greg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Have put my name down for this - sounds great

Not done a star party before so looking forward to the experience and meeting some like-minded folks! :(

cheers

Ian

I've put my name down in the other thread but to whom do I make out the cheque?

Make it out to "stargazerslounge" :(

Thought so but just wanted confirmation. I'll send it off today :)

Location update with info on light pollution.

Visited the site last night at 21.30 and parked overlooking the camp site - did not venture onto the site itself - too dark and nobody around. There is light pollution in the direction of Hereford - W to NW only. Could clearly see clusters in Cassiopeia but more important M33 at alt of 40 degrees and was easy in 15x70 binos. M1 was also visible and the Milky Way (very clear) stretched from Cassiopeia through Gemini with no difficulty - M35 being an excellent sight. From my location could not see the eastern horizon because of trees although from the rally field you will be able. Whilst driving back I could see the E horizon and there was slight LP in the direction of Ross but not too bad or too high.

Overall a dark site, with facilities on site and good pubs nearby.

Mark

Mark,

Thankyou for taking the time and trouble to give us a report on the site..A glass of wine will be waiting for you at the starparty. :(

Greg

Thanks Greg and Jamie. Yes I am looking forward to the star party and meeting like people who are just names at the moment. The glass of wine sounds like we going to have a good social get together!!

Mark

sounds like we going to have a good social get together!!

You bet we are!! :(

Thanks for checking out the night sky situtation Mark.

Dave

Yes I thank you too Mark. I know the party will be a great social event, but it's good to know

the skies are going to be Astro friendly too. :thumbright:

Ron. :(

Sounds like it could be a winner, thanks Mark for the report. Roll on April!

Tony..

This all sounds too good to miss......

May bring the 12" Dob.

Are there still places ?

Ed

May bring the 12" Dob.

Please do.. would love to get a look at the skies with a large scope... I was amazed at what i could see in the C6 :(

This is going to be my first start party!!!! I am very excited!

I haven't even bought my first scope yet! I am going out to look at the weekend.

Anyways I am looking forward to having all you guys to help me out as I work out what I am doing :(

Nuttystar...

If you can wait, you can always look through lot's of scopes at the starparty and make your decision then...

:(

heh that would be a great suggestion although I don't think I will be able to wait that long icon_smile.gif

:)

I didn't think you would.... :(

This will be a wonderful opportunity, to have a look though a wide variety of scopes, and chat 'first hand' with the people that use them.

If you could contain your enthusiasm until then, it might save you, buying something, that you later wished you hadn't.

Not easy to sit and wait, once the 'bug' has bitten I know :( .

Do you not live near any of our members, who could give you the opportunity to look through a scope two, while you are waiting ?

Dave

I can't bring myself to give up the nice solid pier mount in the obs so might just pop up overnight one night...

Billy...

If you could come Peter that would be great - I'm sure following the focus mask success you wouldn't have to buy a drink all night!!

Helen