SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice 1 Helen.... I am not sure what a welsh cake is though - is it similar to Dwarf Bread??? :)

I was thinking the other day - theres a lot of us from doon sauf going ain't there? Maybe we can try and be at the same services on the M40 or something at approx the same time for a coffee?? Probably a stupid idea, but I am good at those!

I am coming up with Stephen in his camper van - will find out when we are leaving on Thursday.

Richie

Have just confirmed with Lucksall, that I can bring my reservation forward to Tuesday, and have done so. This has necessiated a move of Pitch from 27 to 28, which is literally the last pitch in that row, and immediately adjacent to the Rally Field entrance. :)

Dave

Sounds good Dave. You can be base camp for the rest of us! It'll be good to know what sort of things the shop stocks, and what the coffee shop serves so that we know what supplies to bring.

Richie, this is a Welsh cake welshcake2.jpg

Helen

Okay i "might have a slight problem" :eek:

Ive trial runned packing the car and the good news is that it all fits (including the Dob !!!) . :)

The problem is that i need to loose about 6 stone so i can fit :) Do you think if i cut out biccies between now and Wedsnesday its do-able ??? ;)

Ive trial runned packing the car and the good news is that it all fits (including the Dob !!!) . :)

The problem is that i need to loose about 6 stone so i can fit :) Do you think if i cut out biccies between now and Wedsnesday its do-able ??? ;)

Don't eat the fruit in the fruit cake....Those bits are full of sugar!!

Let me guess ..... Does it look like my topbox at Kelling:evil6:

Don't eat the fruit in the fruit cake....Those bits are full of sugar!!

Let me guess ..... Does it look like my topbox at Kelling:evil6:

If i take the passenger seat out of a Picasso does it make it a Van ??? :)

Sounds good Dave. You can be base camp for the rest of us! It'll be good to know what sort of things the shop stocks, and what the coffee shop serves so that we know what supplies to bring.

Helen

Not sure whether or not the site has wi-fi access, but even if they do, a lot of camp sites charge something like 4 to five pounds for an hour.

However, I have national access from any BT 'hot spot', and if I can find one in the locality and log on, I'll 'post' some info.

Dave

I was in Weymouth all last week, so I spent a happy hour on the beach writing a packing list for SGL4.

I'll be starting to put it all together tonight. I've got three evenings so they should be no rush. Getting togther the rest of the stuff should only take a couple of hours at most. I just need to make sure the battery pack is charged up and that all the electrical stuff works and Robert's your father's brother.

Dave and I should be there mid-morning on Friday.

I've packed the top box (Camping Kit) Trailer (Camping Kit)...

The scopes and personal kit will go in the back of the CRV Thursday morning...Managed to get the kids booked into the childmiders early on Thursday morning so I can make an early escape;)

I'm bringing a 110aH leisure battery an 80aH Diesel car battery and 4 power packs!!

And several RCD's...I cannot stress the importance of these RCD's as SteveL has said please use RCD's if you are powering stuff off the 16amp hookup..

Using mains power outside in the dark and the dew is not something you can play with, it can be deadly serious! Just hooking up a 16A socket to an extension lead is not safe... not even close!

You cannot assume that the site has RCD in the supply boxes, nor can you assume if they do, that they will work or be tripped at a low enough current to stop you getting zapped/killed.... in the dark... possibly by yourself.. for several minutes/hours at a time.

Spend some money on something that could save your life or the life of others around you... get a real camping mains lead with inbuilt RCD.... you (should) know it makes sense.

I mowed over the caravan extension lead today..... The RCD popped at the fuse box in the house and the garage and the RCD in the caravan...

If i'd of had no RCD's .... I probably wouldn't be making chill Saturday night...

Currently getting all the bits and bobs together for the big meade.....I was just going to bring it and the tripod and set up in alt/az for visual use only....but, you know how it is.....I'm bringing the full imaging rig with it now....guidescopes, wedge and the lot!!

I'll only regret it if I don't :)

Cheers

Rob

Just to let you know that myself and Jon (Ford Prefect) may or may not make it to SGL4. We have pitches booked and paid for at both Kelling Heath and at SGL4, and in possibly the largest "chasing the seeing" episode, the plan looks like we will spend Thursday night and probably Friday night at Kelling, and then if the weather looks like it will clear for SGL4 on Saturday night, we will pack up and drive cross country to Wales... err.. Hereford to join you good people for one evening of fun, food, drinks and dark skies.

Yes... we know... crazy....

Ah goodie , that means more food for me then Steve , although would you believe , im not very well at the moment, at work , but not to good i tell ya , so will have to make a decision about myself tonight , wifes better so thats good ,

Rog:(

Archived