Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

About 161 miles for me Dave, according to Google. Probably closer to 300 miles if I use my TomTom. :):):mad:

Mike

The motor has the Navtec system built in Mike, but its no more intelligent at choosing roads, than my old Tom Tom 300 was, when your over 37ft long and 7'6" wide :)

The 'golden rule' is, 'if in doubt, then don't' !! ;)

A rule that quite a few HGV drivers, especially foreign ones, have ignored to their peril :(

Dave

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly as the local boy it will only take me 10 minutes to reach the site. If anyone gets into difficulty finding their way in rural Herefordshire they can ring me on my mobile. I don't want to give the number on an open website so send me an email and I will post back the contact number if you feel you might need it!!

However, nearer the time I will give an update on the local pubs (I might visit each one to sample the quality of the ale) and directions from the M50 which includes a new access road missing out Hereford.

Seeing the number attending I think we are going to have interesting time come rain or shine.

Mark

A question for Mark (mark at beaufort), our 'man on the ground' :)

Mark, I'll be travelling to SGL via A14/M42/M5/M50.

My SatNav's chosen (quickest) route is to continue to the end of the M50 (J4), and then up the A449 towards Ledbury, then turning off onto the B4224 towards Mordiford.

However, looking on the paper map, it seems more direct to leave M50 at J2, then take the A417 to Ledbury, then the A438 towards Hereford. Eventually turning left onto an unamed road at Dormington, then through the village of Hampton Bishop to Mordiford (about 2 miles).

Towing a large caravan, my concern is the suitablity of this 2 miles of unamed road.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Dave

The best route for you is to follow your paper map suggestion. Exit the M50 at J2 and head towards Ledbury via the A417. On the outskirts of Ledbury is the bypass (still the A417). Head towards signs for Hereford. At the final roundabout take the road to Hereford A438. You will know that you have the correct road as you will see a high railway viaduct on your right. After approx 7 miles you will drive through the village of Tarrington. After another 2 miles you will reach the left turn for Dormington (not really a village just a few houses). This road is okay for a caravan and after the first tight bend is straight all the way to the village of Mordiford - about 2 miles. When you reach the junction turn left for Fownhope ( Hampton Bishop is right and the wrong way). After turning left the Moon (Pub) is immediately on your left. Carry on towards Fownhope and the caravan site is about a mile on your right 100 metres past the turning for Holme Lacy.

Hope this helps.

mark

Thanks Mark, it does indeed help. Going onto until the end of the M50, did seem to be a bit of a 'dog leg'.

One other question, sorry;

Stay on the M5 to the M50, or come off the M5 at Worcester, then come down the A449 through Gt Malvern

Many thanks

Dave

Dave

I appreciate that you could exit J7 at Worcester but you will get delays in Malvern not to mention having to climb the Malvern Hills before dropping down into Ledbury. Very scenic but I think the other way is better, caravan wise, and possibly quicker. If you want anything else let me know.

Mark

I had to visit Ross on Wye this afternoon so decided to visit the Lucksall Caravan Park on the way home. The site was quite busy and the staff in reception were very helpful and were looking forward to having stargazerslounge members in April. The site is well laid out and very clean. The staff told me that we were likely to be using the 'Hare' and 'Buzzard' rally field. The area is already well cut and wild flowers have been seeded overlooking the River Wye. Pam (my wife) remarked what a lovely site. With regard to the rally field you have a full 360 degree FOV without too many trees. Only looking N is the sky restricted by about 10 degrees. For 2009 a cafe has been added although I never went in.

Let us hope for clear skies.

Mark

Archived