Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I will have my EQ6 Pro Eqmod, laptop, 190mm Mak/Newt, ED ZS66, MX916 CCD, Guidehead,

Hopefully a modded Canon 1000D, JMI electric Focuser, Atik USB filter wheel with LRGB, and OIII,

SII, Ha, Filters. Loaded Maxim DL, loads of other stuff, so anyone with no gear with them is welcome to come and make use of mine, otherwise If I don't learn a lot between now and then, I will probably just put it all together and look at it. :laughing2:

I'm very hopeful of learning a great deal on this trip.

Ron. :(

You'd better be bringing the 'Vixen' Greg :(....

I think that's one thing that can't be understated, there will be a whole host of different kit and it's all there to be looked at and through. So if you're thinking about a particular item, it's almost certain to be there :). I'll be most likely hiring a car so plenty of room to bring the whole shebang.

Tony..

I haven't fully read this thread so if this has been said already I'm sorry.

Please remember to take dew prevention stuff (preferably active) with you. We were caught out BIG TIME at kelling last autumn. Never seen anything like it.

Ant

I haven't fully read this thread so if this has been said already I'm sorry.

Please remember to take dew prevention stuff (preferably active) with you. We were caught out BIG TIME at kelling last autumn. Never seen anything like it.

Ant

How many amps do you get with the leccy hookups? :(

Ron...any chance you could take your kitchen sink too so I don't have to walk far to do my pots :laughing2: :laughing2: :laughing2:

Heh Heh, It will depend on whether or not I am able to borrow my mates Trannie Van George. He said I could borrow it, pending acquiring insurance for the duration. The other problem is it's fuel consumption. It's a long way from Carlisle to Hereford, and the fuel bill could be a monster. I like the Idea of it though, he has it well kitted out, and it has an awning that would be useful for the beer sessions and the Craic. Oh, and sheltering the gear in the unlikely event of rain. :( :mrgreen:

I was so unprepared for that... I remember on the Friday night (I think) SteveL took the cap off of his ZS66 and the dew just ran out :shock: .

Actually that reminds me, I need a 6" dew strap...

Tony..

I was totally prepared, three dew straps are incorporated into the wiring loom. But jesus the water was everywhere...

The primary mirror of my newt (second unprotected setup) dewed up - NEVER had that happen before.

I think that TJ's power supply for the laptop gave up the ghost because of it!

Ant

I was totally prepared, three dew straps are incorporated into the wiring loom. But jesus the water was everywhere...

The primary mirror of my newt (second unprotected setup) dewed up - NEVER had that happen before.

I think that TJ's power supply for the laptop gave up the ghost because of it!

Ant

I believe you're right mate. Before I got sorted on the Saturday, the previous two nights astronomy was taking the cap off the 110, doing the synscan alignment then putting the cap back on as the objective was completely dewed up. Glorious.

Tony..

The thing is, the camp is right alongside a river, which will no doubt exacerbate the problem of dewing. Does Kelling have a river nearby?

Ron.

Not ot my knowledge, but it's got the North Sea just over the dunes!

Tony..

Righty! Just sent the deposit.

What shall I bring? It will depend on the forecast a bit, but I can bring the 12" Flextube for a 'communal' dob if anybody is interested. I can also bring along a modified camera, for anybody to try if they are thinking of getting theirs modded, but are wondering if it is worth it. Do a direct comparison. Likewise, if anybody wants to try the little 6" astrograph I have, that will be available, assuming it hasn't been sold on by then.

Also, I happen the know the guy that taped red cellophane over all the rogue lights at kelling last year. It's probably worth tying up with the campsite, but putting red filters over the lights is a great way of keeping the lights on, but also not losing our night vision. Not that it matters too much to the imaging crowd of course, but I know Stef struggled a bit with even the lights from the screens last year. The best thing I, sorry, HE found, was the red line marking tape that Maplins sells. It comes off easy without leaving mess, and is 2" wide. Also great for blocking off caravan, car, tent lights etc.

If the forecast looks good, i'll be bringing all the usual kit for imaging, and anybody is quite welcome to come along and see how I muddle through. I tend to use "easy" imaging software, which for novices is a lot less daunting than the megalithic maxim. I will also be taking my Bahtinov focus masks, and can show their potential off. Also, anybody struggling or learning the basics of image processing, I am happy to pass on what I have learnt so far, and will be hoping to pick up tips from the more experienced :(

If we should be lucky enough to have a clear night, I am usually up and out the whole night, and would welcome any wandering visitors, although Im not sure if I will do my imaging from within the confines of the caravan yet, depends a bit on the temperature.

Looking forward to this!

TJ

Well you can be sure I will be sneaking around and spying TJ. I expect hope I will have learned enough to at least get off the ground by Hereford, but as I said earlier in this thread, I hope it is going to be a big knowledge feast for me.

Ron. :(

Archived