SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

Anyway....will this be in order?

Only it's my last chance to see him this week.

Barry.

Shouldn't be a problem...But as Mike says, just ask him to keep his lights off if he arrives after dark and keep a red torch handy.

He's welcome to look through my stuff.

Greg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame I missed this chance to meet so many SGL'ers - will have to wait for the Salisabury event to finally meet up with some of you.

Clear skies to you all...

Iain

Starting? I've been looking forward to this right from the moment I got my car towed out of the mud at Kielder last month.

I'll bring my tow rope and make a few quid!!!!

The caravan was serviced back in February.

It comes out from 'storage' on Sunday, gets washed and wax polished. Yep polished (Mer), which it gets in the spring, and then again before being parked up for the winter.

The Aquarolls and water system get flushed with Puraclean (chlorinated), to remove any mildew that's built up over the winter period. The sleeping bags get aired, and that's it already for the new season. :)

Then its just a matter of loading all our 'kit', and hopefully setting off for SGL4 on wednesday, an overnight stop just on the south side of Brum (circa 3.5 hours from home), and arriving at Lucksall around Thursday lunch time.

Why an overnight stop?, well having the caravan, and being retired, its just a nice relaxed way of travelling. :)

See you all at Lucksall ;)

Dave

I'll bring my tow rope and make a few quid!!!!

Not from me... I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Mind you, if the bloke who pulled me out of the mud at Kielder had put his hand out for money I would have quite gratefully passed him some notes.

James

Hi there, anyone out there? recently joined the lounge, and desperate to get a star party under my belt. But totally confused, i here a party is imminent, but where ,when, how much, can i come, i'm willing to share my binoculars! if anyone as the time to give me some detailed info i would be most grateful.

Definitely looking forward to it big-time - having a mare at work at the moment (hence why I've been quiet recently) - really really REALLY looking forward to the break :)

My new camping gear turned up yesterday as well, got a new inflatable mattress to try out (one of these: Outwell 7cm Self Inflating Roll Mat - Self Inflating Mats - www.InterTent.co.uk) seems very comfy as well - just have to keep it out of the way of the cats (they have clawed and holed my last 2 inflatable mattresses :) )

See you there!

Richie

A 'self inflating mattress' eh!. :)

I hope it works better than a piece of 'flat-pack' furniture I once bought.

It said on the box 'self asembly' ;)

I laid all the panels out on the floor, and watched it for ages, but it didn't do a thing :eek:, so I had to put it together in the end. :eek::)

Dave

Dave , the self inflating matresses are remarkably comfortable , I use a Fat Airic.

They tend to be warmer than a airbed in respect to the cold rising from the ground , also its very hard to fall off of one :)

Those self inflating mats are superb...I bought a folding campbed earlier in the year which is worth it's weight..Keeps you off the floor.

I suffered last year at Kelling..All the years i've slept in cruddy tents on rough ground at the BSB and WSB rounds...I go and buy a posh tent with posh sleeping things and I hardly got a wink!

I am so so so looking forward to next weekend. Will be going through all my kit this weekend, making sure I have got everything I need, plus spares of the things that could break or get damaged (power cables, USB leads, mains fuses, 12v lighter fuses, etc). I am pretty sure I`ll be able to get all the gear in the car... just!

The preparations are about to start in earnest here - baking this weekend :) and then sorting out the astro kit, and then the camping stuff. The weather forecast doesn't look too bad for this weekend, so may have to juggle preparations with new kit testing :):D

Helen

Looks like this weekend could be a good warm up for a fair few of us so you could check your astro kit then :). Got the hire car booked, the camping kit checked so apart from some food and drink, it's all systems go here!

Tony..

Hmmm!, the forecast, at least up until wednesday looks very good, so maybe a change of plan is 'on the cards'.

Perhaps bring our arrival at Lucksall, forward to Tuesday :).

This would give us time to do the tourist/holiday bit, before SGL4 gets under way.

A bit too early look at any longer term forecast, but here's hoping the good weather holds right through until after SGL4.

Dave

DON'T LOOK AT THE WEATHER! You'll jinx it :)

@Centroid - very funny - made me chuckle.... Need that, thanks :)

@Helen - hope your baking plenty if your gonna feed all of us!

As far as the mattress goes - I am looking forward to NOT waking up in the middle of the night sunk into the middle of an airbed - we shall see....

My kit is all sorted out since IoW, so I know what to bring/pack etc (which means I'll forget something important.) No chance of me taking the kit down until I know there are no clear patches headed our way!!

Still can't wait....

Archived