SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please be aware for people bring little ones to the SGL Starparty. The rally field is next to the River Wye..

As far as i'm aware there is no fence between the field and the river..

All you need to do is decide which nights you want to attend...If you want electric and put your name down in the thread with those details..Then send a deposit of to the address in the thread...

not been camping before... when it says electric.. does that mean i can charge my laptop - i.e 240 volt with a plug ?

sorry to sound dumb :S

Also.. gonna need to get a tent.. how big is a pitch?

Yes you can charge with a 3 pin plug but I'm sure you will need the appropriate extension cable.

Pitches are normally the size of a large car on most camp sites...

How do we all eat.? Do we need to bring cooking facilities, or is there chuck wagons on the Praire.

I know SGL3 had Greg and Daz I think, master chefs providing grub. At a price of course.

No Idea what arrangements are for Hereford though. I need to prepare to bring stuff if needs be.

Ron. :laughing2:

We haven't used this site before Steve but scouts have reported a dark sky, certainly darker than most of us have at home. There may be some issues with a light or two when we get there but with some resourcefulness we can probably overcome that.

If you are looking for something more 'hardcore' then Kelling might offer a darker sky.

I go to star parties for the social, good weather and a dark sky is a bonus :)

I believe Helen and Mark at Beaufort kindly went to the site some months ago and informed us that the site is relatively dark although there were some lights at the edge of a field (Which could be covered or possibly switched off).

The owners are very receptive to our needs so I don't see it being a problem..

I go to star parties for the social, good weather and a dark sky is a bonus

Same here...It's all a bit academic anyway..It will probably be hammering down for the whole weekend... :)

It will be darker than the areas that most people will be travelling from..

Ron

I wouldn't worry about the food side of things just yet. The fine details are being sorted out and everyone will know what may be offered well before time.

SteveL

The campsite has proved very responsive to our requirements so far so I am sure they will listen if we need any points to be addressed.

Cheers

Ian

This is a dark site when I did the site visit in March 2008. Because I live about 3 miles away I will revisit and report again. In addition I will give info on nearby pubs, shops, supermarkets etc and their distances. I can say that the site is very clean and overlooks the River Wye - which is dangerous. The site is not fenced so children need to be careful.

I am sure that I will get a clear night over the next week!!! to give a detailed report on the night sky including the visibility of DSOs with binos but I am sure that you won't be disappointed.

Mark

PS Since 2008 a new relief road has been built on the A49 Ross - Hereford Road before you reach Hereford (this won't appear on many maps yet) which takes you onto the Rotherwas Industrial Estate and onto the village of Holme Lacy (1 mile from camp site). This road will be useful for travellers using M50. Can provide more info if required.

Tried phoning the campsite a couple of times today, but the was met with a 'nobody available' answering machine message.

So, I have e-mailed my 'regular pitch' booking, and asked for a pitch as close a possible to the 'rally field'.

From the site plan, there appears to be a row of 'regular pitches', backing directly onto the rally field, so that looks good.

As yet, no reply to the e-mail sent this morning.

I have to say that I'm very much more of a social visitor, as being very fortunate in having an obsy and a dark 'ish' location, I don't need to stray away from home to image/observe. Also, my 'kit' is bolted to a wedge/pier, and I don't have a portable mount anyway

A nice atmosphere among a nice bunch of people :) (if that doesn't get me a beer , then nothing will :) )

Dave

Just had an e-mail back from the camp site, confirming my booking, and with a 'pitch' adjacent to the Rally Field. :thumbright:

BTW, its worth noting if anyone else requires a 'regular pitch', that the site requires a £25 deposit.

Dave

Have a chat with Kai (Steve) or Jamie, they are the two "Camping advisors on the forum thhe can advise you on tents..

The only thing I would say is buy yourself a really good sleeping bag, I mean a really good one...Last year's spring Kelling I had a Winter bag and a Spring bag..(I've done a fair bit of camping) And I ended up with the Spring bag inside the Winter bag... :shock: As it got a bit cold at night..And a thermal mat to sleep on..

Or do what my wife does and bring a duvet..

Or do what my wife does and bring a duvet..

Nah, just leave the heating on overnight in the caravan :)

God, I wish I was hardy and tough like you real campers :)

My lot will be staying at home this time... :)

Oh Greg, and there's me telling my wife that its not an all male 'anorak' gathering, as people do bring their wife and family along.

Dave

Archived