SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 Pro and EQMOD / EQDIR

Hello Guys,

After first rig tests, successful polar alignment on SynScan etc., today I found another mystery. I have ordered EQDIR cable (USB to RJ-45). I was sure it will go to "AutoGuider" port on my mount, but it seems only match to port of SynScan Hand Controller. I remember there was a way to plug mount to PC through SynScan Hand Controller somehow, but is this a good idea? I have few related questions after I find I am still confused on this topic:

1. What is difference between EQDIR and EQMOD? Initially I thought that EQDIR is on USB, EQMOD on serial, but I am not so sure no more.

2. If I will connect my EQDIR cable (USB to RJ-45) I will need to use app like Stellarium to access GoTo functionality? Is there any better app than this, or it is absolutely enough and recommended?

3. What kind of connection is better, EQDIR cable (USB to RJ-45) to hand controller port on mount or different cable and through SynScan hand controller to PC? (I am not even sure how). By doing in this 2nd way, I will need to use SynScan for GoTo or Stellarium?

4. SynScan has functionality like "go to home position" or gives me simply possibility to move mount head with arrows. How I suppose to do it if it won't be connected?

Please forgive me if I have messed up something, thanks for any advices,

Raf

Edited by raf2020

1 hour ago, raf2020 said:

I have ordered EQDIR cable (USB to RJ-45). I was sure it will go to "AutoGuider" port on my mount, but it seems only match to port of SynScan Hand Controller.

The EQDir cable plugs into the HC port on the mount.

1. What is difference between EQDIR and EQMOD?

EQDir is the name generally given to the cable that connects the laptop to the mount. EQMod (also known as EQASCOM) is the software which replaces the functions of the Synscan handset.

3. What kind of connection is better, EQDIR cable (USB to RJ-45) to hand controller port on mount or different cable and through SynScan hand controller to PC? (I am not even sure how). By doing in this 2nd way, I will need to use SynScan for GoTo or Stellarium?

The EQDir cable + EQMod is a replacement for the Synscan handset which allows full control of the mount through a planetarium programme such as Stellerium or Cartes du Ciel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raf2020 said:

4. SynScan has functionality like "go to home position" or gives me simply possibility to move mount head with arrows. How I suppose to do it if it won't be connected?

EQMod (EQASCOM) gives you the ability to set multiple park positions, set up different locations (e.g. home, observatory) with different lat/lon settings, set up a game-pad controller, play sounds when you slew/change rate/etc.

It is a 'driver' - so the planetarium (e.f. Carte Du Ciel) uses this to communicate with the telescope.. You configure the driver to use the correct USB-SERIAL port, and then select the HEQ5/6 driver in the planetarium. Once connected, you can click and slew the telescope to any part of the sky, or manually drive it with a game-pad.

Many of us with the Skywatcher mounts use it, so always plenty of advice here! 

:)

• Like 1

My rig will be about 10m far from my pc (living room - backyard). Initially I have seen problem that I wouldn't be able to control it from backyard, while I will be close to mount with HC, but probably there won't be any point nor need to do so :) Thank you @daz for your input!

And controlling it with game pad sounds soooo fancy :)