SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ethos 21 and Nagler 31

Ken82

I’m trying to decide what eyepieces I want in my new set for my 10” f5 dob and 85mm f5 refractor. 

I have the 21 ethos and I’m also going to get the 13 and maybe 8.

But is it worth it to also get the 31 Nagler for wider views ? 

Thanks ken 

No...in my scope I have the 21,13 and the 8 ethos and rarely use the 13!...17,10 and a 6mm would be my choice in your scope but if you ever go bigger you're future proofed ...don't waste the money on a 31.

Edited by estwing
  • Like 2

With my  F4.7 10" dob, I mainly use a 20mm APM HDC and 10mm Delos. I have a 13mm APM HDC which sees less use. For wider views I have a 30mm ES82 which is very nice. It's good with filters for observing large diffuse nebula such as the North American Nebula. The increased exit pupil is very good here. Spend your money on the focal length that gives you a 2mm exit pupil. That eyepiece will see a lot of use. I'd suggest starting with the 21mm and 8mm. After a few sessions you should have a feel of what you're missing. It's easy to spend money on buying eyepieces to cover all possibilities but you'll inevitably end up with some eyepieces that don't see much use. 

• Like 1

I would stick with the Ethos. I have a 31mm Nagler but I went for that for the eye relief (along with a 22mm Nagler and most of the Delos range for the same reason).

If you are happy with the 21mm Ethos I think that would get picked for use rather than a 31mm Nagler the vast majority of the time.

Edited by Paz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

I have both the E21 and the N31 but use the E21 a lot more with my 12 inch dob.

Snap, but no intention of parting with the 31mm T5

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2014 at 18:59, swamp thing said:

The date of the murder of my 31mm T5 Nagler was Friday the 24th of October. The place, the SWSP. The perpetrator of this heinous crime against eyepieces was a certain 21mm Ethos. 

I had been quite happy observing the veil with my beloved Nagler and O-III filter in my 20" Dob when a person who will remain nameless (CALVIN AKA ESTWING :D ) came wandering  over all innocently holding an eyepiece in his hand. He smiled knowingly and asked if I'd like to try his 21mm Ethos on the veil. I didn't see the danger and foolishly agreed to put his harmless looking piece of glass in my Dob. Calvin said very little as I went about removing the O-III filter from my Nagler, and he even helped me fit it on his Ethos. I popped it in the focuser and BANG  :eek:. This wasn't in the script, my jaw fell limp, hitting the floor with a decided thump. The Nagler  had just been handed a severe body blow and was reeling from the shock. 

Now, I've called the view with the 31mm Nagler and O-III photographic, and I will say the views through the Ethos aren't photographic....... Put simply, they're better. You are there, in space with the veil spread out in front of you. It gives the  same incredible detail as I have seen  in my 20mm Nagler but on a scale you have to see to believe. Its shocking how good this object looks. 

His job nearly done Calvin took his ethos away, and my Nagler breathed a heavy sigh of relief, as I carried on observing some other objects and recovering from the shock of what just happened. Little did I know he would be back.......

M42 cleared the trees and made its way up into the sky. I could hear it gently calling out for the 20" Dobs first look at it. I was swinging the Dob into position when who should appear......Yeah Calvin with his ethos. "Wanna try this again?" he laughed. Foolishly I agreed.

We screwed a UHC filter in, and I popped it in the focuser. Errr.......err......err Dunno what to say. Ive been observing a long time and nothing prepared me for this view. I can't even begin to describe the detail, the giant field of the ethos is alight with glowing gas. You can not only actually see where the trapezium stars are blowing the gas away from around them but it feels like you could fall in there. Its the sheer scale the ethos and the 3D effect it gives that is mind blowing. Trying other eyepieces was pointless the 31mm was stone dead. The comparison was a no brainer. The 21mm ethos had murdered it.

We even tried Cals 13mm ethos......nah. that went straight back in the case, relegated as not even worthy of taking on the big 21mm here. In my 20" Dob the 21mm ethos would quite simply murder any eyepiece on these objects. As my mind starts to now wander as to what it could achieve on objects like the Omega, the Lagoon and others, I believe the big Nagler is finished.

My 31mm T5 now sits cold and dead in my eyepiece case. Terminated.

Old..but gold..this was in a 20" tho...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have the 17-10-6 progression as my base in a 15" f/4.5.

I did indulge in a 31T5, which is a nice step up from a 17mm, but a little less from a 21E.

It does get use but the 17E does gets more.  I also slipped in an 8 - again, a bit indulgent!!

Perhaps the money would be better spent on something else- eg do you have a 2" O-III?

2071879081_Screenshot_20201027-225431_SkySafari6Pro.thumb.jpg.47cc583389f8e1380970f5bc92291258.jpg

• Like 1

On 27/10/2020 at 18:51, estwing said:

Old..but gold..this was in a 20" tho...

Sorry I went against your better judgement.

I figured I wouldn’t be going on the annual skiing trip this year so put some of the extra money to better use and then I noticed it was in stock at FLO. 

Actually I was speaking with a couple of friends who live local to me and they both have these eyepieces. Their preference is for the 31 Nagler whilst using a dob. Interesting how personal preference plays out here. 

I’m sure whatever I prefer both will be fantastic eyepiece additions. 

So I’ll start the new eyepiece collection with a 31 Nagler and 21 ethos. Next I think maybe 13 and 8 ethos🤔.  Actually I remember on a couple of occasions looking through your large dob @estwing and I’m sure I recall back then your favourite eyepiece was the 13 ethos? 

3ADD86BF-1B5D-414B-932B-C521371CC728.jpeg

• Like 1

If your pockets are deep enough, the 12.5mm Nikon NAV-HW might be worth a look.  Most CN reports rate it as slightly better in most ways with regard to the 13mm Ethos (sharpness, immersiveness, contrast, eye relief).  With its EiC lens, you get a 10mm as well.

3 hours ago, estwing said:

Where was this mate?...usually drunk on vodka!!!

Yes definitely drunk on vodka 😂

It was a small gathering near Ashbourne, Derbyshire. 

I remember looking through your 22” dob and 13 ethos and thinking my god that is photographic ! We were looking at M51 and to me it is still the best view Of 51 I’ve seen ! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

I remember looking through your 22” dob and 13 ethos and thinking my god that is photographic ! We were looking at M51 and to me it is still the best view Of 51 I’ve seen ! 

The views through a really big dob with a quality eyepiece do leave lasting memories :smiley:

I had a similar experience a few years back with a 20 inch and Messier 13 and Messier 51 :shocked:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Ahhh....you have me mistaken for Damian (mapstar) ...yes he likes the 13..IMG_1921.thumb.JPG.0b5b5410bc6a82bce76c65dc9183e905.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Excellent choice Ken :smiley:

Have you used a 31mm Nagler before ?

The eye positioning can take a little getting used to but once you have the knack, it's superb.

I think my Nagler 31 is the eyepiece that I've owned the longest of all of my current ones - over a decade now.

7 hours ago, John said:

Excellent choice Ken :smiley:

Have you used a 31mm Nagler before ?

The eye positioning can take a little getting used to but once you have the knack, it's superb.

I think my Nagler 31 is the eyepiece that I've owned the longest of all of my current ones - over a decade now.

It arrived today 😀 unfortunately the dhl driver just threw it over my gate, what an *rse. But as ever the packaging is bomb proof and the eyepiece is perfect. 

It is noticeable smaller than the ethos 21 which I didn’t expect. (My image doesn’t show that) 

I haven’t used a Nagler 31 yet John but until now I’ve been using my luminous 31 which is very similar. So I’m familiar with the FOV etc. I was just very impressed with the field correction of the ethos 21 which has prompted me to upgrade the 31. 

So from here I’m going to wait a couple of weeks and see if either a 13 or 8 ethos comes up for sale. If not I’ll just get these new. 

That should give me a nice coverage, at least for the dob. I may need to add some of the smaller FL for my refractor. 

B2454CDA-DC35-4582-917B-FEAD7C5C39B2.jpeg

AAD21637-D45C-49D6-8827-89DF1C0CA344.jpeg

Edited by Ken82
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

It arrived today 😀 unfortunately the dhl driver just threw it over my gate, what an *rse. But as ever the packaging is bomb proof and the eyepiece is perfect.....

I heard this a few times about delivery people but I'm glad that it's never happened to me, so far :rolleyes2:

If you bought the eyepiece new it would be worth mentioning it to the vendor. I'm sure they would be interested to learn how the delivery company are treating stuff that they supplied to their valued customers.

• Like 1