Narrowband

Tempted to get some 100 bins

bish

Hi all,

I was at Kielder last week with my celestron 9x63 bins as my scope was ou5 of action. Have to that sweeping a dark sky with a decent pair of bins  was great. I would quite like some 100mm bins but can't afford the right angle ones. I"m not sure how comfortable it would be trying to see anything overhead with bins on a tripod. Experience and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

• Like 1

I think it goes down to personal preference whether a standard tripod is comfortable enough.. I have found it a little annoying before , when you want to look above 65-70 degrees and have to tilt you neck too much and try and keep your eyes close enough to the eyepiece.... Of course you could look into a parallelogram mount - I've used one before but I've never set one up and they do take up a little more room.lt will allow you to view in comfort, either standing or sitting/laying back

Mark

• Like 1

100mm really need a parallelogram, though the angled ones can get to zenith with a tripod. I’d look at parallelogram options before buying. I had some 25x100 ages ago and they didn’t get used enough as the tripod I had really wasn’t good enough.  

Peter

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

100mm really need a parallelogram, though the angled ones can get to zenith with a tripod. I’d look at parallelogram options before buying. I had some 25x100 ages ago and they didn’t get used enough as the tripod I had really wasn’t good enough.  

Peter

Thanks. Yes I am worried that I spend a load of cash on something that isn"t that comfortable to use. One of the best things about bins at a dark site is the ease of just sweeping the sky.

+1 for a parallelogram - the one in my avatar is the AstroDevices one with 20x80s; it wouldn't struggle with 25x100s. Only problem is that it's too easy to doze off during a long session, they are so comfortable to use 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use Helios Lightquest 15x70 bin with a carbon tripod and a fluid head. I stick a karrymat and an inflatable pillow on the ground, drop the tripod pretty much to it's lowest height. Lying on the karrimat I draw the tripod up to about chest height so there's a leg on each side and tilt the tripod to get to the eypeices. The bins are fairly light though.